| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
Author: samhain126
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How do you organize your floss?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-9-1 02:33
| Show all posts
I keep my DMC on plastic bobbins & store them numerically in plastic craft boxes with number series written on outside.  I find it's a little work winding them on to the bobbins (which I also number with black pen) but the store nicely on shelves & always can find the colour right away.  When I use that colour I always make sure I buy a new one to have on hand.

Comments

I store mine the same way but let my replacing a color used mojo slip. Now I'm back trying to get my 1st set back full and then I'll work on the 2nd set  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-27 23:34

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-16 16:28
| Show all posts
it was useful

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-17 07:56
| Show all posts
I just put it in bags by numbers. It's getting messy, because I used to work with DMC only and after I discovered other companies now I'm getting drowned in thread.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-22 17:14
| Show all posts
Edited by Jazzi at 2013-6-22 03:17

I have been using the "Floss Away System" (like snack size baggies) organized by number on rings. "like all the 200-300" on one ring and storing the rings in plastic shoe boxes. I have stored them this way for over 25 years and all of my floss is STILL good.

I debated changing to bobbins and realized that it would take weeks for me to wind and re-organize the floss when I could be stitching. When I updated and added new floss it took almost two days to do it. When I saw how well the floss had held up with all the weather changes and all I decided to stay with what I have. Why re-invent when I have a system that works?

Instead I will be using coin album binder pages as a needlebook for parking needles while working on large projects.

I have an order in for some of the overdyed threads and will be storing them in zipped sandwich bags in plastic boxes sorted by company.

My DMC boxes are labelled "200-899 and 900- +"

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-22 22:46
| Show all posts
I don't have a full set of DMC yet, but I'm slowly adding to it. For now though I have all my threads on bobbins, and I make a project card for each project that I work on, punching holes in a piece of cardboard and writing the color number and symbol next to the hole. That way I dont have to keep opening my bobbin box to get thread, but just refill the project cards each time I run out of a color.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 13:02
| Show all posts
I use the plastic bobbins and put them in the DMC bobbin boxes... You can buy the bobbins really cheap on Ebay, I bought 500 for $15USD... Although it takes awhile to sort it, it was worth it...I bought the stickers for the DMC numbers as well... I put on all 400+ stickers and wound up 101 colours in one day... Most people will probably do it faster, but I am very particular about how evenly I wind my floss up... Also, you can buy a cheap floss winder from most major craft stores for around $3 or less...A huge time saver if you're not slightly OCD like me...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 23:06
| Show all posts
I really like the binder idea!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 23:34
| Show all posts

I store mine the same way but let my replacing a color used mojo slip.  Now I'm back trying to get my 1st set back full and then I'll work on the 2nd set :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-20 20:19
| Show all posts
crazy - so many floss.. I am also crazy but with fabrics an yarn for crocheting. I also looking for ideas to store - so I found this threat. It is interesting, that we all looking for ideas - for every hobby a storing idea.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 09:53
| Show all posts
do those that use bobbins get crinks in the thread

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 10:21 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.058774 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list