Forgot password?
 Register
Author: ebi
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How to color the fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2010-1-7 04:24
| Show all posts
In a Russian forum I saw them using paint for Easter eggs to colour fabrics and threads. The results were in very pretty pastel colours. I plan to try this when Easter comes, but the vegetable way sounds interesting too!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-7-1 01:21
| Show all posts
I  used fabric dye on cross sticth fabric, they also need that salt to make the color stay on the fabric and not go away if you wash it

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-7-12 01:15
| Show all posts
I don't know where you live but DYLON is a brand who has many colors to dye fabric. You put it in your washing machine with the fabric and gives a very good result. if you later run it through the washing machine again with a cold program, the color gets fixated and you can wash your project afterwards. I used this to dye a blouse and the result was fantastic.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-7-14 06:58
| Show all posts
I use different tastes of tea bags, that's the way I get different colors on the same fabric for vintage look. I heard of using onion skins and other vegetables.
I also read that it is even better if you soak your work in coffee or tea after you finished stitching and then dry it in the oven!!!
It will be interesting to try it out.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-7-14 07:37
| Show all posts
merci~~~
thanks much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-7-19 08:03
| Show all posts
do not usually dye the fabric, color buy and need.
I left the color is quite

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-8-26 20:23
| Show all posts
I have heard that Procion (I think thats the correct spelling) is a good dye to use. I have never dyed my own fabric, so I am not sure if that is true or not.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-3-3 09:06
| Show all posts
to have a very primitive fabric you can put it in coffee for at least one hour and then in the oven....it comes out as it would forget it  for years and years...:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-3-11 22:21
| Show all posts
I have used the procion dyes, and they work excellently.  They are permanent and color-fast as long as they are rinsed correctly after dying, so you can wash completed items.  You do need to use soda ash to fix the procion dyes in the fabric, though.

Here is a recent one I dyed by crumpling the fabric, stuffing it in a jar, and pouring green, brown and peach dyes over it.  I let it sit for about 45 minutes in the dye to soak up the color, then poured out the dye (leaving the fabric in the jar), and poured in the soda ash mix to fix the colors and letting that soak for a couple hours.  Then I rinsed the fabric, and wound up with this:

Login/Register to enlarge

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-3-12 09:16
| Show all posts
Steffie, that's beautiful!!  I haven't tried dyes yet but I love using tea and coffee.  I boil and then bake it.

I know of one lady who put different color dyes into spray bottles and "painted" the fabric by spraying it.  The results were really pretty.  This way can get messy so I'd do it outside.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 05:06 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.039500 sec., 11 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list