Forgot password?
 Register
Author: xonic
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How long strands do you use

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-25 05:30
| Show all posts
About 10-12 inches for cotton floss for me.

Comments

Same here with me....  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-29 03:03

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-25 06:49
| Show all posts
50 cm i use most of the time:):)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-30 00:13
| Show all posts
It depends on the pattern and the fabric I am using. If I am using a higher count fabric like 28 count, I only cut 12" lengths. If I am working on 18 count, I will go to 18". The reason for this is that the longer the thread, the more times it goes in and out of the fabric, and eventually it will lose it's shine. With a high count fabric like 28 count the stitches are much smaller so even 12" is enough to go in and out many many times. That way it is also much less wasteful when I need to do just a few stitches in a color.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-8 09:02
| Show all posts
40cm for me

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-17 11:20
| Show all posts
I use what I saw recommended once, and it seems to work for me.  But 18 inches is my comfort length.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 07:59
| Show all posts
I like to use a pretty long strand.  I just hate cutting a new piece especially when I really get going on stitching.  I feel like stopping and starting with a new strand takes me out of my flow.  Talking like a good 2 arms lengths if I'm doing 2 threads because I use the loop method for two strands.  If it is one thread, I'll still cut it pretty long, 30 inches or more, I'd say.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 19:40
| Show all posts
I use a loop start so I double the length to give me two strands, I finish up with about 50 cm.  

Depends on the thread used, metallic threads are more of a problem - you need shorter lengths and a useful tip is to knot the needle end so that the threads don't keep slipping.

One useful tip to stop knotting is to wet the thread very slightly with your mouth!!!! It makes the fibres stay flat.

Twisting threads are a problem - you can railway line them if you are using two strands by placing the needle between the two strands before stabbing the fabric.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 02:33
| Show all posts
About 15cms

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 06:34
| Show all posts
I usually use about 19 inches, unless I'm using metallic thread, and then it's about 12 inches.  Because I pre-cut my floss at the beginning of a project (except the metallics which I try to handle as little as possible), I like them to be all the same length in case I am working on a pattern with blended colors (Teresa Wentzler, I am talking about YOU!). I find that longer lengths reduce the shine, and they can even fray slightly, which is unsightly.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-11 22:10
| Show all posts
I pull from the skein about 5 bends (about 36in or about 91cm) then use with thread heaven no knots! I don't like to have a lot of buried ends making the back look messy. :)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 19:50 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.055285 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list