| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 209|Reply: 14
Collapse the left

how do all of you keep the interest going for a big piece of work?

[Copy link]
PinDIY
PinDIY  Post time 2023-2-4 05:54 |Read mode
So does any of you guys/girls know the feeling of loosing interest for the work you are doing at the moment?
so what do you do to keep going? :) I'm asking out of curiosity

Comments

Old topic in Free talk  Post time 2023-3-2 20:42

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-2-8 08:40
| Show all posts
Edited by A Sock Puppet at 2023-2-8 08:42

I'm a stitcher, and I find what keeps me going is sections. The "Oh, I've finished this colour in this part" or "I finished part of a wing". The one project that absolutely stopped my motivation was all the one colour: I just couldn't finish it.
The other thing that I do is put on a podcast. I can't watch TV when I'm stitching, but I can listen. It makes stitching fly.

Edited to add: I have one project that I'm actively working on, and another in preparation at all times. I hate doing the prep work (gridding, tensioning, framing), but I only allow myself to start the next project when I've finished the previous one. This allows me to go straight from project to project without stalling on the prep work.

Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-4 06:24
| Show all posts
I just like to knit. I can't sit and watch TV with empty hands, so I just knit!
It doesn't matter the size of the piece.

There are two kinds of knitters: process knitters and project knitters:
https://sheepamongwolves.net/2017/09/process-vs-product-knitter/

* Pure process knitters don’t care what they are knitting. They just love the knitting itself, the rhythm and flow of the movements, calming effect it has. These knitters also don’t mind ripping back if they’ve made a mistake as that only means more knitting.

* Pure product knitters only care about the finished item. They might not even really like the knitting itself but only the end result. They prefer quick knits. Small and easy projects like hats. Big needles and chunky yarn. They are less likely to knit more difficult items with complex cables or fair isle that take longer to finish – unless they really want that product. Then they may even knit a long cardigan with cables and intarsia on 2mm needles using fine fingering weight yarn – but they aren’t likely to enjoy the process.

I think I am the first type. I just like to knit, I struggle with sewing buttons on cardis and so on LOL
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 05:12
| Show all posts

i have for many years used the crocheting to keep my thoughts at bay or how they say. and found out it worked for me when i first tried it after loosing my grandmother. i simply picked it up and started to relearn the world of crochet. and now i enjoy the world of crochet. sometimes i even use youtube videos to learn a pattern simply because it's not in a language i understand :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-4 11:42
| Show all posts
I sew, knit and crochet. I keep interest in larger items by doing them in rotation. I tend to batch sew - make a few of the same dresses at the same time. I knit for complexity. I love cables when I have a large block of time during which I can concentrate. Otherwise, I love to knit simple knit, purl afghan squares. For a fast end result, I crochet!  For me, the issue is not how to keep interest, but how to find time to do all the things I like!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 05:22
| Show all posts
CraftyLouAnna

Login/Register to enlarge
2023-2-4 04:28

I like to have more than one project on the go as well.  A rotation works breaking them down to just ...

well normally i try not doing big works, but last autumn i thought maybe i need to make a warm blanket due to these crises with energy going on. not to talk politics at all ;P and i had for a long time had my eyes on some lovely yarn. very expensive what i normally don't buy :lol

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 05:15
| Show all posts
celiamerula

2023-2-4 17:30

I only like doing one project at a time, so in order to get to the next (maybe more enjoyable) one I ...

i know how that is like. i have tried having multiple works going and i simply lost track of them or  they started to bore me so i ended froging them and start over. and now as i learn more intermediate patterns i sometimes frog things i wasn't satisfied with

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 23:07
| Show all posts
I always have several projects: sweaters, cardigans, scarves and shawls and of course socks.
Even in my car is always a project bag with socks. I might be stuck in traffic again, so you have to be prepared. :lol

It all gets done, it just takes time.
I have no time pressure and knit also only when I need relaxation from the stressful job or while watching TV.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-4 07:08
| Show all posts
Edited by sunnyegg at 2023-2-3 17:10

I have many project going on. When I get bored of one thing I move to the other, then I come back to it when I get bored of that other thing. It's like a never ending cycle cause I keep adding more projects. LOL
P.S. I knit, crochet, sew and sometime build things out of cardboard boxes(doll house minis).
Then there is also baking and cooking.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-4 11:28
| Show all posts
I like to have more than one project on the go as well.  A rotation works breaking them down to just a few days a week on each project.  Mind you having 7 projects on the go means only 1 day a week on any particular project.
I used to do 4 with the one closest to being done receiving more time.   

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 00:30
| Show all posts
I only like doing one project at a time, so in order to get to the next (maybe more enjoyable) one I HAVE to finish the current one.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 05:17
| Show all posts
qcollins

2023-2-4 04:42

I sew, knit and crochet. I keep interest in larger items by doing them in rotation. I tend to batch  ...

i have tried that also but sometimes i just end up having too many work in progress items. i have many other interests too like building LEGO and last summer i taught myself to knit.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-5 05:18
| Show all posts
qcollins

2023-2-4 04:42

I sew, knit and crochet. I keep interest in larger items by doing them in rotation. I tend to batch  ...

ohhh hehe trying to keep track of the comments :D yeah sometimes it's like we need 12 hours more to a day to get to do all the things we wanna make :D

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-11 09:26 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.050924 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list