Forgot password?
 Register
View: 108|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

Knitting on a plane

[Copy link]
Post time: 2024-3-4 21:55
| Show all posts |Read mode
I've heard of this dilemma a few times, is it possible to bring knitting needles on a plane? I've heard varying answers like they'll be fine with it as long as your needles are only wooden/circular needles or that they won't bother arguing if you've already cast something on them but I have no idea if it's true. Do they actually care if you take knitting needles? What happens if they do care? Do they take them away from you and just chuck them in the trash or can you get them back when you return from your trip? What if you've already cast something on the needles and they take it away? Idk, might be going on a flight for the first time next month but I want something to do during it, my backup plan is to just bring a book but any advice is appreciated

Comments

Old topic  Post time 2024-4-2 22:05

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-3-5 06:44
| Show all posts
i think different airlines have different rules best to ask
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-5 10:28
| Show all posts
Edited by nannagirl at 2024-3-5 10:36

Hallo again :)
just dont take metallic and long ones, only wood or plastic etc., if you take circulars, then without steel rope

I have been flying to all parts of the world for over a decade now with my knitting , and they have never even checked it twice

also no scissors or thread pickers

enjoy your flight!

Comments

Alright, thanks!  Post time 2024-3-5 11:18

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-5 17:12
| Show all posts
It does not depend on the airline or the airport from which you are departing.
Only the security personnel decide. If they have a bad day, you're out of luck and your knittingproject and needles will be confiscated.

Just in case, it's always a good idea to take a stamped, self-addressed large envelope with you.
If the worst comes to the worst and you are not allowed to take your project with you, at least it won't be completely lost. Simply put it in the envelope and hand it in.

It has happened to me twice so far.

Comments

That sounds awful, sorry you had to deal with that dude. Thanks for the heads up  Post time 2024-3-6 12:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-5 17:32
| Show all posts
I just checked that point for UE and I have found in an official government website that « it is forbidden to travel with knitting or embroidery needles or hooks in metal or in other material if this material is sturdy enough to be used as a weapon » - this applies to all departure flights from UE or Switzerland or Norway. That said, you can be lucky enough and go through the check with needles, but I am not sure that they let you knit in the plane if they see you, since needles and hooks are forbidden. You won’t be able to get back something that was confiscated. I think a good book in cabin and the needles in hold luggage is a safer solution if you take off from UE, but I am curious to know the régulations from other parts of the world.

Comments

That's very good to know, thanks. Can't imagine losing my needles just because someone's having a bad day  Post time 2024-3-6 12:40
I couldn't say it better than you did. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that just because one person did it several times without any problem, it doesn't mean that it will always be like that. Tha  Details Reply Post time 2024-3-5 23:07

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-5 23:07
| Show all posts

I couldn't say it better than you did.
I just wanted to emphasize the fact that just because one person did it several times without any problem, it doesn't mean that it will always be like that. That person might have been very lucky...

I used to be a frequent traveler, and once forgot a bottle opener (one with a blade included, for wine bottles) in one of my travel bags - the precise one I would always keep with me as it included a padded compartment for my camera - and went all around the world with that absolutely forbidden bottle opener. It wen all through X-ray checks and security and whatever for several years , and then one day it was found and got dumped on the spot.
Luckily enough I didn't really care about that specific tool.

That is to say, I would never try to bring knitting gear (that I care about) in a plane. I'd be too scared for them to dump it.

Comments

That is right, BluBrd, you can be lucky a very long time, even without knowing it, as it happened to you ! But still It is better to know what can happen before making a decision.  Details Reply Post time 2024-3-6 22:10
Alright, thanks for the tips dude, I think I will just go with my book because I don't want to stress about whether or not my needles will get confiscated  Post time 2024-3-6 12:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-6 22:10
| Show all posts
BluBrd

Login/Register to enlarge
2024-3-5 23:07

I couldn't say it better than you did.
I just wanted to emphasize the fact that just because one  ...

That is right, BluBrd, you can be lucky a very long time, even without knowing it, as it happened to you ! But still It is better to know what can happen before making a decision.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-10 00:58 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.103354 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list