Register
View: 148|Reply: 10
Collapse the left

Need crochet hooks suggestion

[Copy link]
Post time: 2024-4-21 22:19
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2024-4-21 11:58

Can someone suggest a good crochet hook? One that has smooth glide with any type of yarn? thanks!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-4-21 23:14
| Show all posts
Clover Amour

Comments

I agree with Clover Amour  Post time 2024-4-21 23:28

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +50 Collapse Reason
pitussa + 50 I bought the whole set!

View Rating Log

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 00:38
| Show all posts
Any metal crochet hook will have a smooth glide with any type of yarn.  Bamboo or wood will be slightly sticky (everything will still glide smoothly) but might be better for some of the more slippery yarns like silk or alpaca.  The thing that will influence you the most is probably the handle.  Hard plastic, metal, rubber, polymer clay, and a whole host of other options are available to you.  It all depends on what your preferences and budget are.  Most hooks are metal up to around 4mm and after that are plastic because of the weight.

If you get a crochet hook with a wide handle like the Clover Amour it might be easier on the hand.  If you don't care about the handle, a cheap metal/plastic combo set will work.  If you like the feel of the wooden handle but like a metal tip then the Chiaogoo natural, metal head might work.  If you are into Tunisian crochet then an interchangeable set like the Chiaogoo Bamboo Tunisian interchangeable set will have you covered for almost all your crochet needs, since you could use the hooks with or without an end stopper for normal crochet needs too.  I myself don't do crochet much since it's too hard on my hands no matter the hook type, so I have a really cheap set of plastic/metal hooks in a plastic case that suit my limited crochet needs.  I've also got my great grandmother's teeny tiny metal hooks as well (they are so small they have tip protectors on them) which I use for beading.  If I didn't have any hand issues and just starting out I'd take the more expensive route and go with the Chiaogoo Tunisian interchangeable set because it has the most popular hook sizes, and then supplement it with hooks that it doesn't have as needed. The set would have almost all your basic crochet needs met for regular hooks and Tunisian hooks.
Just one thing.  When you are looking for hooks, you might see the term in-line used, which means the shaft of the hook is 'inline' with the hook itself, so if you have a 3 mm hook, the shaft will be 3 mm as well.  
:)Full Disclosure;P:  If you haven't noticed by this time, I am a real fan of the Chiaogoo products.  They are extremely good quality wise and the company stands by their products.  I have had only one problem with one knitting needle, and they replaced it without any problems.  If their company had been around, and their products available where I live, when I started knitting, I wouldn't have had to waste my money on needles that I don't use any more.  I now use Chiaogoo products exclusively except for hooks.  I don't do enough crochet to justify buying a whole new set.  If at some point, I do get into Tunisian crochet, I will be buy their Tunisian set, and give away my original hooks.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 01:06
| Show all posts
I definitely agree with the answer above mine.
I find that any metal hook slides easily with any kind of yarn (merino, bamboo, cotton, acrylic...) and doesn't snag chunkier yarn if the hook is the right size. I can't really suggest a specific brand, I'd settle for a basic set on Amazon and then work up to a nicer set for your own preferences, for example in grip thickness and look (some set are really pretty to just look at, really ahah).
Hope that helps, best of luck.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 21:53
| Show all posts
Buy a Clover Amour one, and try it for a project (that's what I did). (it's just 10 eur).
You'll end up buying a whole set ;)
They slide so well and the handle is so good, much less fatigue in my hands after hours of crocheting!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-23 10:21
| Show all posts
As some have said, Clover Amour is a good brand. Tulip Etimo also has excellent hooks - they are a bit pricier, but very beautiful. You can't go wrong with either set.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-23 10:21
| Show all posts
For metal hooks, I really like the ETIMO RED line of crochet hooks from Tulip, and for wood I like the driftwood hooks from Lykke. For cheapie aluminum hooks I like the Loops and Threads hooks from Michaels, these are great for travel because they're cheap enough I don't have to worry about losing them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-23 20:46
| Show all posts
My favourite hooks are those yellowish-brownish ergonomic from Clover.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-24 02:51
| Show all posts
I really love my tulip etimo hooks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-5-1 03:05
| Show all posts
I love all Clover hooks, but I have found a number of cheap hooks found on Amaz that have good reviews are smooth and work nicely.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-4 04:21 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.058050 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list