Forgot password?
 Register
View: 168|Reply: 10
Collapse the left

White yarn problem - very rough

[Copy link]
Post time: 2024-4-30 06:51
| Show all posts |Read mode
Is it me or there is something wrong with white yarn? I tried different models and always have the same problem: yarn is very rough and it is hard to work with that.

But the problem is only with white color... Any other colors are very soft and I really like to work with them.

I tried YarnArt Jeans, Gazzal Cotton and Alize Cotton - same problem, only white color...

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-5-1 02:54
| Show all posts
I think that different dye colors actually effect different yarns in different ways. I use mostly wool and/or acrylic yarns and cotton and cotton blend yarns sometimes. Cotton yarn is naturally stiffer than most acrylic yarn which is why it works so well for amigurumi. That said, black and red acrylic yarn can be rougher than other colors. With acrylic yarns you can sometimes soften the yarn by loosely winding a hank of yarn and soaking it in fabric softener or washing it and using a bit of fabric softener in the rinse. I put the yarn in a mesh bag to wash it and then dry it on a rack. I have not tried it with cotton or cotton blend yarns though.  Good luck finding a soft yarn or softening up the yarn that you have!
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-30 16:01
| Show all posts
I haven't encountered this problem. My problem is that the whites vary too much between different brands, making it difficult to buy the right one when I run out all the whites yarn
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-30 19:26
| Show all posts
I've always read that "black is the hardest color to crochet with because you can't see the stitches", maybe it's something similar?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-4-30 23:30
| Show all posts
Thank you for your replies, I was being afraid this is only my problem haha

Or maybe I cannot describe it properly... My friend told me that maybe the white yarn has been starched(?) to obtain "more white" effect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Specially with Yarn Art Jeans you can buy colour white and "optical white" - and the optical white is that one I'm struggling with :/

Comments

Yes, if it is cotton and it is "starched" it will be hard as a stick. Maybe try to wash it?  Details Reply Post time 2024-5-1 02:51

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-5-1 02:51
| Show all posts

Yes, if it is cotton and it is "starched" it will be hard as a stick.
Maybe try to wash it?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-5-10 06:30
| Show all posts
I had this issue with YarnArt Jeans, as well as Alize Cotton Gold, however, in recent years I think Cotton Gold has changed something in their formula, because their white yarn somehow got just as soft as other colours in this model :D

Comments

Thank you, good to know there is nothing wrong with me hahahaha  Details Reply Post time 2024-5-17 00:27

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-5-16 04:24
| Show all posts
I never had this issue, but by the way you describe it I assume the other replyers are right and that the yarn has been treated with something. Is it singed cotton or not? Because unsinged cotton tend to be a bit rougher

Comments

It's not pure cotton, it's mix: Content: 55% Cotton – 45% PAC -> from the producer site. My concern was because I have couple of skeins(blue, red, orange, etc) and all are soft only white is like  Details Reply Post time 2024-5-17 00:31

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-5-16 15:05
| Show all posts
yes, whites are often stiffer & harder.
It has to do with the procedures its running through to get a pure white.
The fibers are more stressed out then.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-5-17 00:27
| Show all posts
Rinnara

Login/Register to enlarge
2024-5-10 06:30

I had this issue with YarnArt Jeans, as well as Alize Cotton Gold, however, in recent years I think  ...

Thank you, good to know there is nothing wrong with me hahahaha

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-21 16:20 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.036419 sec., 13 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list