| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1410|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Linen from a Fabric Store; can you stitch on it?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-3-28 08:26
| Show all posts |Read mode
I have been wondering about this one for a while. Buying linen from a cross-stitch shop is expensive, and you never get very much. Also, there's the limitation of what colors you can get... has anyone tried buying linen (or linen-look) fabric by the yard from a fabric shop that sells it in bolts? If so, have you had any luck stitching on it? Is there a certain kind to look for, or some process to prepare the fabric to make it easier to stitch on?

Maybe this is a common practice among you expert stitchers, but I'm still a novice. :P Please let me know!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-2-8 01:10
| Show all posts
It may not be even, same number of threads per inch going up or side to side.  It depends how precise the pattern needs to be
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:55
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-6 02:00
| Show all posts
Siguiendo este hilo

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 01:27
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-23 16:28
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-3-28 11:17
| Show all posts
I think linen is linen regardless of where you buy it. Just look for a good quality linen and try a piece.

Comments

I did actually try a piece I had on hand, but the fibers making up the grid slid around and didn't hold the floss at even the lightest tension. I'm wondering if maybe I had the wrong thing, or the w  Details Reply Post time 2012-3-28 12:27

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-3-28 12:27
| Show all posts

I did actually try a piece I had on hand, but the fibers making up the grid slid around and didn't hold the floss at even the lightest tension. I'm wondering if maybe I had the wrong thing, or the wrong weave...?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-3-28 15:12
| Show all posts
Linen does that anyway - I always stitch over 2 with linen - never been able to stitch over 1 and have it make a cross.

Comments

Nuts, really? It seems like the expensive stuff I got from an actual embroidery shop (on sale -- because I'm a cheapass ) held it's form. I wonder if you just have to starch regular linen to get i  Details Reply Post time 2012-3-29 03:01

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-3-29 03:01
| Show all posts
HollyBlue replied at 2012-3-28 12:12
Linen does that anyway - I always stitch over 2 with linen - never been able to stitch over 1 and ha ...

Nuts, really? It seems like the expensive stuff I got from an actual embroidery shop (on sale -- because I'm a cheapass ;P) held it's form. I wonder if you just have to starch regular linen to get it that way...?

(Maybe if I did stitch over just one it would help keep the threads form bowing together...?)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-17 00:52
| Show all posts
To me they are the same. I do use my mother's cheat:  Iron and starch linen before sewing, on it seems to help keep the fabric taunt when stitching.  

Comments

Iron first, then starch? Or the other way around? (Really want to learn how to use this method; specialty fabric is getting ridiculously expensive.) Thank you. ^^  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-17 06:20

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-9-17 06:20
| Show all posts
stitchspider replied at 2012-9-16 21:52
To me they are the same. I do use my mother's cheat:  Iron and starch linen before sewing, on it see ...

Iron first, then starch? Or the other way around? (Really want to learn how to use this method; specialty fabric is getting ridiculously expensive.) Thank you. ^^

Comments

I do it all at once. When I do it I iron, spray with starch and iron flat again. (I just use a small spray bottle filled with water and a half tablespoon of cornstarch ) This is optional though, it  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-17 08:25

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-17 08:25
| Show all posts
Blackhat replied at 2012-9-16 17:20
Iron first, then starch? Or the other way around? (Really want to learn how to use this method; sp ...

I do it all at once.  When I do it I iron, spray with starch and iron flat again. (I just use a small spray bottle filled with water and a half tablespoon of cornstarch )  This is optional though, it just makes it easier for me to sew. I do this to the linen from kits too.  

Comments

Woo hoo! I got cornstarch and I got an empty spraybottle right here! Thanks very much for the instructions!  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-17 09:35

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-9-17 09:35
| Show all posts
stitchspider replied at 2012-9-17 05:25
I do it all at once.  When I do it I iron, spray with starch and iron flat again. (I just use a sm ...

Woo hoo! I got cornstarch and I got an empty spraybottle right here! Thanks very much for the instructions! :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-17 14:57
| Show all posts
Thank you for the tip- I wanted to work on linen but it seems way to difficult.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 01:44 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.074284 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list