| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Blackhat
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How Do You Organize Your Pattern Collection?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-4-10 02:58
| Show all posts
Nice thread! I have just started downloading patterns. I have many hard copies. But I was just wondering what the is the best way to sort them. I think maybe by type...floral, animal, landscape. i only but only have a few so not yet a problem.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 06:51
| Show all posts
I organize them into folders by home designers and designers.
The magazines published by the house.
Also organized for cross stitch, patchwork, crochet, etc.:D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 17:48
| Show all posts
I try to organize mine by designer and magazines, but those that are various types I have them all in one folder and it's very complicated to find something. I haven't found the best way to deal with them

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 18:06
| Show all posts
Well, for me, I organized them by these priority list.

1. Issued Publisher (I mean like HAED, BUCILLA, PINN, DIMENSIONS, DOME, etc).
2. Special for SODA and other Cute Korean Pattern, I stored them separately (I named the folder 'Korean', which consists of SODA, Good Day, Iomoo, Shiny Room)
3. Categorized them by Designer (Thomas Kinkade, Paula Vaughan, etc.)
4. For the other I categorized them with Global Key (Oriental, Religious, Landscape, Classics, etc.)

Comments

i do something simular, head, tatter teddy, popcorn, disney.... but most of what have are digtal. still hard to keep them orginized.  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-15 09:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 23:44
| Show all posts
Edited by Rusalka at 2012-4-10 23:45

I have a disc that I put my patterns in. It was a little confusing at first, the headings I used where - HAED, Disney, Fantasy, Bears, Cats, Dogs, Alphabets and Sayings, Cartoon Characters, Animals, Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Nautical and Sealife and Transport and Toys amd Global oh and misc. Misc was for random stuff Toys I put random stuff in too like carousels and random objects (that wern't nesacerily toys). Sometimes I would end up getting a pattern that would fit two catagories but then I just copied into both folders. My system might not work for you depending on what patterns you have. Once I'd finished I burned it all to disc and kept a copy on the computer too just in a case. As for my patterns not on the computer. I've put all my cut outs from magazines in a folder (no paticular order for these although I do have a seperate folder for Christmas patterns). I also have a box of patterns I need to go through which are all pretty randoms. :)

* In global I put stuff like scenes and patterns of landmarks

Comments

How do you update that disc, though, when you get new patterns? I think that's my biggest problem so far. ^^;  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-11 06:03

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-11 06:03
| Show all posts

How do you update that disc, though, when you get new patterns? I think that's my biggest problem so far. ^^;

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-11 14:44
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-21 23:21
| Show all posts
i have hundreds of patterns both paper and on the computer. Indexing them is an absolute nightmare. I have so far put them into topics such as christmas, floral, popcorn, country companions etc and split them into larger and smaller projects too.

Comments

...what's "popcorn"? Do you have patterns of popcorn, or is that a term for a pattern style like "quakers"? I don't honestly know. ^^'  Post time 2012-4-22 00:54

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-23 18:06
| Show all posts
I have the files named with designer (if there is any or I know it) and subject, and organized in folders according to designers. I find that the key is to give long names to the files which explain properly what is inside :)

Comments

TJ
True! And I also agree with someone who said above that there is no perfect method  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-24 13:31
I agree with this long-naming thing. Unfortunately, come of the file architectures I rely on will only take 32 letters, so I have to start getting creative with abbreviations.... -_-;  Post time 2012-4-24 08:44

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-24 13:18
| Show all posts
I made folders named after the designers.  Each chart got its own folder inside the designer folder.  This was working okay until my collection got too big.  So then I added a few more folders, A-I, J-Q, and so on... Moving all the designers to the correct alphabet folder took a while but my computer is very organized now.  For the ones I use most often, they got separate names, for example, freebies, french designers, LHN/CCN... They always stay on the main page.  As soon as I dl something, I put it where it belongs.  If I get lazy it takes forever to clean it all up;P

For charts I've purchased, depending on the size, they go into page protectors and binders or a filing system.

I can find anything on my computer but I still wind up searching my craft room for hard copies;P

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 22:58 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.051825 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list