| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Blackhat
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How Do You Organize Your Pattern Collection?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-8-29 04:59
| Show all posts
I have 3 binders for all my patterns. The ones I have bought and payed money for.

The ones I haven't bought are just in a folder on the computer  no special order yet.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-12 18:42
| Show all posts
I organise mine by subject matter. I do that because, when starting a new project the first thing I think is -what is the subject matter, maybe a birth sampler or christmas card. If they are filed that way I can go straight to that section and look for what I want. Some sections such as Christmas are huge so they are broken down into sub sections such as large pictures, cards, decorations, then further down again to categories such as Santa, Rudolph, outdoor scenes, trees etc. I find this works for me
As I create a 'heading ' I number it for example 25 christmas (that's always easy to remember) all my blackwork and monochrome charts are together, fantasy etc are numbered 4 so I have 4 ANGELS, 4 FAIRIES, 4 MYSTICAL and all branded items like Beatrix Potter and Hummel have 7 in front. It evolved over about 3 years and seems to work.
I have them all on an external hard drive so they ar safe if the computer crashes. I lost 3 years work about 3 years ago so had to start from scratch again. It was easier the second time because I already had the titles of the folders in my head. Once the headers are in place it becomes simple to always file new charts in the correct sub heading. Starting with hundreds of charts is a nightmare but soonest started soonest mended as my old gran used to say

Comments

That's a very clever system, using numbers to double-code your files... I wish I had the correct brain for numerical associations, but alas, I do not... I would quickly forget which number meant what  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-13 08:13

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-9-13 08:13
| Show all posts

That's a very clever system, using numbers to double-code your files... I wish I had the correct brain for numerical associations, but alas, I do not... I would quickly forget which number meant what and would constantly have to recheck. Perhaps if I stuck with it for three years I'd develop such a skill... ;P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-16 00:18
| Show all posts
The big designers have their own folder.  I usually know what their designs are. The rest get organized by subjuct.

Comments

That's kinda how I do it now, too.... but this new collections option thing is totally changing my game! Are you using them yet? Also, because you're at lv. 3, can you tell me; how many collections ar  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-16 05:27

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-9-16 05:27
| Show all posts
keyva replied at 2012-9-15 21:18
The big designers have their own folder.  I usually know what their designs are. The rest get organi ...

That's kinda how I do it now, too.... but this new collections option thing is totally changing my game! Are you using them yet? Also, because you're at lv. 3, can you tell me; how many collections are you able to make? (I can only do 5 of them at lv 2- wondering if higher levels get more). :loveliness:

Comments

Well the collections you can make it's really depends on you. I have 63 big collections and more unclassify and the sub-collections to organize....  Post time 2012-10-20 11:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-17 22:08
| Show all posts
mine is a mess... I'm ashamed. :$

Comments

Baww.... there's no shame in a mess if nobody sees it! (You should see my room... or don't, because then nobody will know...! XD)  Post time 2012-9-18 03:30

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-17 22:50
| Show all posts
:lol I organize by designer xD I wanted to do it by theme or subject ... but found that I will end up with lots of folders ><''' and subfolders xD
so I'm keeping them this way for the moment :lol
>> well sometimes I have something in mind and I just go and view all my collection to see which design fits my project more then I just pick them up :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-28 07:46
| Show all posts
This is a great thread.  I have absolutely no system.  All of my charts are stacked around the house.  Magazines in a pile, print outs in a drawer, kits in a corner.  The charts I really want to do "next" are on top.  Maybe I should get organized   :loveliness:  

Comments

Heh, maybe... think of it like a treasure hunt! You'll rediscover patterns you've forgotten about and get all excited again! (At least, that's what happens to me... )  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-28 07:50

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-9-28 07:50
| Show all posts
siennaX replied at 2012-9-28 04:46
This is a great thread.  I have absolutely no system.  All of my charts are stacked around the house ...

Heh, maybe... think of it like a treasure hunt! You'll rediscover patterns you've forgotten about and get all excited again! (At least, that's what happens to me... :$)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-13 22:51
| Show all posts
por editoriales y dentro de ellas , subcarpetas con los diseñadores , en hoja excel  numeros los que los tienen y los que carecen de numero por nombre . las rebistas en carpetas segun editorial con hoja informativa y los que desconozco autor en carpeta aparte con hoja informativa para identificar ...
mucho lio al principio pero tomandolo con calma se lleva bien .
los impresos en carpetas de sobres de plastico

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 22:05 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.051751 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list