Forgot password?
 Register
View: 4663|Reply: 46
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Dyeing your own fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-8-5 21:06
| Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone have any tips on dyeing your own cross stitch fabric (preferrably linen)?  What kind of dyes do you use?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-1-1 05:09
| Show all posts
Thanks for the tips!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 07:08
| Show all posts
Thank you so much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-6 15:22
| Show all posts
You can use coffee or black tea, the darkness depends on how long you leave your fabric inside the coffe or tea. Try a small piece just to see wich one you like more ... :)

Comments

Such a great idea! I don't know that we can use tea or coffee for dyeing. Thanks for your useful information :D  Post time 2013-8-10 10:06
I just did this today and it turned out great. I like the tea better because the scent washes out easier than the coffee. It's fun to try different levels of colour - and much less expensive than t  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-13 12:17

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-6 19:53
| Show all posts
thanks for a great tip stitcher j :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-7 00:28
| Show all posts
Coffee and tea are both acidic and will cause damage to fabric in the long term.  You should use dyes specifically made for fabric dying.  Dharma Trading is probably one of the best sources, and they have tips.  Videos on youtube also.

Comments

Thank you for the information. I did not know that tea and coffee staining could damage the material.  Details Reply Post time 2013-2-1 17:28

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-13 08:01
| Show all posts
I used a spray dye called "Tumble Dye" and it worked great.  It gave very good variation in color and once you iron, is permanent.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-13 12:17
| Show all posts

I just did this today and it turned out great.  I like the tea better because the scent washes out easier than the coffee.  It's fun to try different levels of colour - and much less expensive than than the hand-dyed fabrics on the market!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-16 05:39
| Show all posts
I just bought some of the TumbleDye sprays and will be trying some Neon Green for Halloween Ornmaments this weekend. I cant wait to see how it turns out!

Comments

I haven't heard of that, so is it hard to find?  Post time 2013-8-19 10:15

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-24 00:34
| Show all posts
Black tea, coffee or dry onion skin, warm or hot infusion. Next step is let it dry, not wash, only dry. And next is using vinegar for fixing colour. And dry again.

Comments

Do you always have to use vinegar after dyeing with coffee and tea ?? And which vinegar, the one for cleaning or the one you use on food ?? (Sorry I'm a nono on this kind of things )  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-29 23:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-19 11:10
| Show all posts
Thanks for the tips

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-20 16:40
| Show all posts
I've used Rit dyes in the past, but never seem to get the same color between doing the sample square and then the full piece. I'm curious to try the Tumble dye.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 11:44 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.066474 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list