| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 8471|Reply: 84
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Does anyone stitch from their Kindle/Android/iPad?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-8-17 09:35
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2015-8-7 18:10

I was wondering if anyone here uses their Kindle, Nook, or tablet computer (or even their smart phone) to stitch from? I know many offices (including mine) are cracking down on employees printing and ink is SOOOO expensive and, honestly, I am running out of room for all my stitching stuff....

I found an inexpensive Android tablet at BigLots and it takes a micro SD card and I am seriously considering seeing how stitching from the screen would work. I think it would also be nice to be able to make the pattern bigger sometimes.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Any tips? Any suggestions for a good .pdf reader or .jpeg viewer (hopefully one you can annotate and/or highlight freehand on.)

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
pwaddles + 1 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2021-12-3 10:50
| Show all posts
I finally tried Patternkeeper, and it is a game-changer for me.  I've been stitching for years, but always from paper patterns, marking things off with colored pencils or highlighters. I tried the demo on a whim and I'm absolutely hooked. It has totally changed the way I stitch:  it's faster (since I can just highlight all the stitches of one color so I don't miss them), and I don't have to worry about page boundaries.  It took me a little bit to get used to looking at a lit screen, but I won't go back to paper unless I have to. THis was one of the few apps that I immediately thought "where have you been all my life!".  
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-17 15:42
| Show all posts
Why would you be printing personal
hobby stuff at work. What an odd
post. i work at work and stitch at
home.

Comments

and why u leave posts that have nothing to do with the subject of topic??u always leave negative comments..never kind...i already noiticed.if u are in bad mood it doesnt mean that other people have to  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-19 19:34
I know a lot of people that don't own personal printers. And some that have better/faster printers at work and their bosses don't mind that they print personal things at the office. Just because you  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-18 00:13
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-11-12 09:08
| Show all posts
I used to use Goodnotes - but now there is a new app for IOS which I have been using and really enjoying!  It's called Markup R-XP it looks and does very similar stuff to the Android App Pattern Keeper. Would definitely recommend! They even give you a really good free version, so you don't have to pay for the full price App.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-16 03:21
| Show all posts

Pattern Keeper is great with a bigger screen.

There's a Facebook group called Stitching with Pattern Keeper and they have the instructions that you need to follow to get PK to work on a Kindle Fire.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-11-18 07:28
| Show all posts
I have played with Pattern keeper for android a little bit on my phone, it looks like a good app but don't know that I want to stitch from something as small as my phone. I have heard there is a way to get android apps onto a kindle and once I figure that out I'm going to try a pattern from my kindle.

Comments

Pattern Keeper is great with a bigger screen. There's a Facebook group called Stitching with Pattern Keeper and they have the instructions that you need to follow to get PK to work on a Kindle Fire.  Details Reply Post time 2021-3-16 03:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-13 04:26
| Show all posts
IamJamie

Login/Register to enlarge
2012-8-18 07:21

Yeah it's been nice that I don't have to juggle everything. Everything you write or highlight is v ...

Wow!  That is great!  I especially liked that you can zoom in and put your own grid lines. Thank you so much for showing the pictures.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-12 09:49
| Show all posts
I stitch almost only from mi iPad I use an app called Good Reader that allows me mark with color my stitches, highlight the grid or the middle if I like, its an app oriented for students but works pretty well with PDF cross stitch chart and gives me a lot of options.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-20 14:14
| Show all posts
I use Pattern Keeper (Android). I really like it. Simple to use and a month free trial.
There is also Mark Up- RXP (I think). It's available on all platforms I believe, it has a learning curve (still learning) but you can use charts from any source available.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-13 04:21
| Show all posts
IHave heard so many wonderful things for Pattern keeper, but now it’s only available for Android. I have Ipad so I am hoping they come out with an IPad version. Look on You Tube lots of tutorials for the learning curve. Good luck. Happy stitching

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-17 11:29
| Show all posts
Edited by IamJamie at 2012-8-17 11:30

Yes!! I just started using my iPad about a month ago and absolutely love it!! I use an app called goodnotes. It's a PDF viewer that allows me to highlight and make notes on the PDFs. It also has incredible zoom so I can really focus on the area I'm stitching. I do have to convert files into PDF format , if they are not already, and merge them together but I installed some great software onto my computer to handle that in seconds.

First I use a program called resize me, this allows me to batch convert multiple files from jpg to PDF. Then I use a program called PDF toolkit to merge them all together into a packet. Then all I have to do is move the complete PDF packet into a program called Dropbox and I can open it on my iPad. The process sound much more labor intensive than it actually is. And the amount of money I will be saving on paper and ink so totally worth the extra few steps.

Comments

Are you finding it easy to use your iPad to work from? I have thought about it, but have not tried to date. I will have a look at the software you mention, is it for Mac rather than Windows?  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-18 00:29

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-17 16:35
| Show all posts
Well, Holly, many people do. In fact, my employer allows me to print pretty much whatever I want. I can still use the printing facilities at work, but I not only wouldn't want to abuse the privelege, but I would also rather spare a tree (or two) and find an alternate method of using my charts.

Perhaps its my profession and level of employment that allows me this measure of freedom at work (and yes, I even have times during my work day when I can actually sit and stitch). A lot of people can't print at work, and I was wondering if any of them had used computers or tablets to stitch from.

Comments

I am allowed to print at work - you just put some change for the copy costs into a jar and every couple of months we use the money for morning tea at work.  Details Reply Post time 2013-3-31 06:31
compliments for your honesty xStitch xD most ppl rather being dishonest and sound "good" or acceptable to others but it is a normal and human behaviour!,, Behavioural economics and psychology acknowle  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-9 00:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 00:13
| Show all posts
HollyBlue replied at 2012-8-17 15:42
Why would you be printing personal
hobby stuff at work. What an odd
post. i work at work and stitch  ...

I know a lot of people that don't own personal printers. And some that have better/faster printers at work and their bosses don't mind that they print personal things at the office. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean other people don't

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 00:29
| Show all posts
IamJamie replied at 2012-8-17 11:29
Yes!! I just started using my iPad about a month ago and absolutely love it!! I use an app called go ...

Are you finding it easy to use your iPad to work from?  I have thought about it, but have not tried to date.  I will have a look at the software you mention, is it for Mac rather than Windows?

Comments

It took a little bit of adjusting but after a day or so I find it much easier now. Probably because the zoom function is so nice. I use macs so I'm not sure if the goodnotes app is also windows based  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-18 02:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 00:42
| Show all posts
I have never used my tablet to stitch but I stitch from my laptop at home with a program in photoshop that puts a highlighted transparent type of marker on it that slides down as I scroll down on my pattern.   I don't know how to make that in photoshop as my husband is a wiz at things like that but I just sit here, and slide the hot pink marker down on a pattern I scanned and it is like using a magnetic board on a pattern.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 00:44
| Show all posts
Maybe I need to see about my tablet too.  I have an Archos tablet and it would be great for if you want to take it with you anywhere!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 00:48
| Show all posts
The only problem I can see with stitch from my iPad is all the marks on the screen as I mark off my progress and any scribbles I make along the way.  ;P

Comments

The goodnotes app is great for ipad. I can highlight and take notes with it. Here are a few screen shots from my HAED. This is no zoom Here is slightly zoomed in, you can see I need to guy more flo  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-18 02:36

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-18 02:22
| Show all posts
langstep replied at 2012-8-18 00:29
Are you finding it easy to use your iPad to work from?  I have thought about it, but have not trie ...

It took a little bit of adjusting but after a day or so I find it much easier now. Probably because the zoom function is so nice. I use macs so I'm not sure if the goodnotes app is also windows based. But i'm sure that there is one that will be suitable for windows.

Comments

Thanks for the information IamJamie. It is good to know that the software is Mac. I have both Mac and Windows, but do use my iMac all the time, rarely use Window now. The guy in the shop said when  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-18 08:14

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 04:16 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.081125 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list