| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
Author: XStitchDoc
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How are you saving $ on your hobby?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-12-18 21:54
| Show all posts
ebay all the way

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-12-18 22:29
| Show all posts
I buy my floss from internet (US$0,44) and thread from ebay :P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-12-27 02:43
| Show all posts
+1 vote for ebay. As well as for making organizers oneself.
Also I try to do as much price comparison before purchase as I can (say, if I'm looking for particular kit I'll try nearest off-line shops, on line stores and the site of a kit manufacturer, and the last sometimes is the cheapest option even taking postage prices into account). Sometimes subscribing to e-mail subscriptions of retailers and manufacturers may be helpful - they'll let you know about sales and promotions. Stitching technology is also important: I try to save as much floss as possible, less lose ends and so on. And socializing, too - having friends with the same hobby is really great)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-12-27 21:34
| Show all posts
I shop at secondhand stores for many of my crafting supplies. Locally they sell hoops for $0.10-0.50 depending on size. Needles and floss often in a bag labeled "assorted embroidery" and my fabrics and many patterns come from there. Just walk in and ask where their crafting stuff is.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-2 22:56
| Show all posts
Nice to share ideas!
My mother looks at the fleamarket, secondhandshop, garagesales. She always finds very neat stuff for me!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-15 17:31
| Show all posts
I try to wait for the 30% off or more total sale items coupons from craft stores. A couple of times a year, your regular and sale price items will be discounted and extra 20 to 30% of total purchase.  That's when I buy 2 sets of every DMC color they have! I can stitch for as long as I can see! :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-9 21:50
| Show all posts
I buy in bulk!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-10 05:42
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-10 13:45
| Show all posts
These are all great ideas. I also use coupons whenever possible and shop on eBay. Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-7 13:00
| Show all posts
I shop on ebay for bundles of threads - there are lots of sellers who sell 50 or 100 skeins for a set price, and you give them a list of the colors you need.

I bought boxes to hold my bobbins from the hardware store - they're made for holding screws and nails, and use scrap cardstock to make my own bobbins.

I make my own 'pako needle organizer' by using a sponge with strips of paper with the symbols drawn on them.

I use a hole punch and print off my own thread organizers for each pattern I am working on and cut 1 - 2 lengths of floss at the length I work with (usually  just 12" since I stitch on 28 count in heavy confetti patterns) and store those in a plastic sleeve with my pattern so that I don't have to keep messing with my bobbins all the time.

I buy needles in bulk (packs of 50 needles for about $10) so that I don't have to pay full price. I store them in altoid tins with a magnet in each tin so that the needles don't go flying when I open the tin.

I bought cuticle scissors to use instead of expensive embroidery scissors at the craft store - a great pair cost only about $4 and work just as well.

Use a 'cool' color  lightbulb in a gooseneck lamp that I can adjust instead of buying an expensive replacement bulb  for my ott light. 3 light bulbs only cost me $6 at walmart and I have been using it 2 - 5 hours a day every day for 6 months and the first one is still going strong.

I also make sure I use coupons to buy my fabric - joanns and micheals have coupons nearly every week. I also don't buy 'stash' just to have it. I have no more than 2 items on the go, and fabric for the next project I want to start ready so when I finish one I can start the next without having to go shopping.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 01:11 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.078186 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list