| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: HAE Baby Xsd car xsd doll Russi
View: 9340|Reply: 63
Collapse the left

[Typical Courses] Experience Share-- How To Choose Your First Cross Stitch Supplies

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-5-10 06:56
| Show all posts |Read mode
Here's How:
  • When choosing basic cross stitch fabric, stick with light colored 11-count or 14-count Aida fabric.Since you are still developing your Cross Stitch skills, stay away from dark colors – many experienced stitchers have difficulty with them. Choose rolled Aida fabric instead of fabric that is folded flat which may have developed difficult-to-remove creases. See How to care for Aida fabric for more information about Aida fabric.
  • Choose floss based on the quality, how much you need, and availability. Floss packets are a good first choice because they contain a selection of commonly used colors. If you choose to start building your floss collection by purchasing individual skeins of floss, stick to one brand. Conversion charts are available, but mixing subtle shades from different brands of floss may not produce the best results.
  • A pack of needles is essential. Obviously, you can't stitch without a needle. There are so many different types of needles - needles with special coatings, twin-tipped needles, easy-thread needles.... When you begin stitching, use a size 24 tapestry needle for 11-count Aida fabric and a size 26 needle for 14-count Aida fabric. As you become an accomplished stitcher, you can try out the many different types of needles.
  • Two pairs of scissors are essential. The first pair is dedicated to cutting fabric. Hide them from the rest of the family! Check the quilting section of your local craft store. You can get a good pair for less than $20. The second pair is a smaller pair for cutting floss. These scissors should be sharp enough to cut the floss without fraying it. Dollar stores are a great source of inexpensive, sharp scissors.
  • Start out with a small wooden or plastic hoop, for your first projects. Be sure to keep it clean. When you start stitching larger designs, make the transition to a larger hoop or one of the frames. A wide variety of wooden or plastic hoops and needlepoint-style frames are available. Some stitchers even use lap-quilting snap frames. Some stitchers do not use a hoop at all when stitching on medium count fabrics.
Tips:
  • Shop around for the best price for Cross Stitch Supplies. Watch for sales and clearance specials.
  • Choose the best quality product you can afford, especially fabric and floss.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
liz0222 + 5 THANKS FOR YOUR SHARING!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-8-14 03:28
| Show all posts
Thank you all for the tips and tricks.  I am going to attempt my first cross stitch in about one months time.  Just busy finishing off 3 afghans before I start a new project.

I have been reading, looking on line, browsing patterns and generally absorbing as much as I can.  What I have discovered so far is:
1. I like 22 count Aida off white.  White is quite glaring to my eye.
2. I do like HAED designs and cant wait to try one.  I know as a beginner that I would be foolish to attempt it.
3. I would like to work from an enlarged printed pattern
4. I can do the crosses, either individually or as a line and can work back.  Can also do half and quarter stitches,
couching.  Parking is not for me...lol.  

What I still have to learn:
1. Needle size for 22 count and is using on strand of floss adequate
2. I have the program for . xsd files.  I have read that you can change colors using it.  Any other advantages or
is it better to download Scanned cross stitch?
3. Still trying to figure out the info the downloads.  I think I have got it but it's the 14h 17w that I am still trying figure.
I assume that it's the finished size, in inches, height and width.  As I use metric measure it's a tad confusing!  And how
does it affect the finished size if I change 14 count as pattern suggests to 22 count?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 09:18
| Show all posts
Thank you for this! I decided to start stitching again and purchased a kit on eBay that included 2 projects, with 4 additional patterns in the book. So I have my first two projects sorted - even if one of them isn't exactly my style - it's all about learning right now for me :)  

At the moment, I'll be using a 24 size needle as it's what came with the kit. Aida 14 also came with the kit, it will have two pieces (one for each project). I'm looking into getting a few different sized needles as well as a few different sized hoops. The kit came with a 6" (I believe, may be 5") plastic hoop (I don't have it in front of me to look).

Things I need to learn - how to stitch everything outside of whole stitches and back stitches (Lol).
I also think it'll be easier for me to use fabric that has the print already on it or how to easily add it myself (if needed).

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-1 23:05
| Show all posts
Я тоже думаю, что начинать нужно с чего то небольшого и базового.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-12-18 02:40
| Show all posts
Great information,  thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 09:00
| Show all posts
Great information. Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 03:31
| Show all posts
Thanks you very much for the sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-12-12 20:08
| Show all posts
Gracias por la información

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-1-3 16:08
| Show all posts
Thanks!!!
I'm also learning~

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-11-18 08:12
| Show all posts
Thank yoh this is great

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-18 15:12
| Show all posts
HANKS FOR YOUR SHARING!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-10 09:54
| Show all posts
Useful information! Thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-23 17:20
| Show all posts
Or buy small kits package.. then you have fabric, threads and pattern for the project. It's cheaper to begin :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-31 15:48
| Show all posts
Good list...plus ensure you have good lighting and a good chair!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-17 23:13
| Show all posts
I agree with all the information. also if like me, you live in a country with few craft shops and fund threads are very expensive, check online. I find them quarter the price online :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-9-2 02:37
| Show all posts
Thanks amanda!:victory:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 03:15
| Show all posts
Very good hints for someone starting out

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-21 01:55
| Show all posts
Useful tips! Too bad I couldn't have read them when I was starting! I stated with a kit with dreadful floss and 22 linen that almost made me gave up on stitching!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-3-16 16:10
| Show all posts
Thank you for the information.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-8-15 23:43
| Show all posts
thx for the info..

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-17 01:42 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.133839 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list