| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2357|Reply: 27
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Can Grids on Fabric = faster?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-1-21 19:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
I havent used Grids on fabric before but I am wondering if it might make the cross stitching faster as maybe less time counting? although I can imagine there might also be a lot of set up time in making the grid. What have peoples experiences been?
I havent made that many mistakes without a grid but I like the idea of it.
thanks for reading

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:49
| Show all posts
Following this thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 20:08
| Show all posts
I don't grid my pieces. Instead I use washable pens (the kind kids use at school) to mark my stitches on the fabric. I find it very useful. A few ponits to consider:

Login/Register to enlarge
it's not that time consuming once you get the hang of it

you can stitch and watch tv or talk to people without a blink of preocupation of misplacing a stitch

you can have a better idea on the display of the design on the fabric

Down point: you can only mark Aida.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 20:28
| Show all posts
I started to buy Aida with grid. It works for me. I could not stitch Golden Kite, HAE... without a grid.

Comments

Zweigart has 14ct, DMC has 18ct, 14 ct and 25 ct. It can be bought in SEWANDSO  Post time 2013-1-24 07:12
oh, where do you buy aida that is already gridded?  Post time 2013-1-24 06:59

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 20:50
| Show all posts
Using grid lines helps a lot especially if you're doing a large project. But I don't use washable pens to mark my fabric.

Have you ever heard of Pilot Frixion pens? Actually I bought these pens for my kids so they can use them at school. The ink can be erased by rubbing it with the gray bit on the tip of the pen's cap. They're very efficient for my kids because they won't be needing correction pen anymore everytime they make writing mistake.

It was a fellow member here who told me that I can also use the same pen to draw grids on my fabric. And when I want the ink to go away, I can simply heat my fabric with a heating iron and the ink will vanish like magic. It saves a lot of time because I don't need to soak and dry my project anymore.

Comments

The marking of the pen will return if you put your work in the freezer, I believe. But how often do you need to put your work in the freezer? I have also used these pens (red pen on white fabric) and  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-23 17:27
Yes i have heard of those pens.. have you had any problems with the pen showing up again? As that is what worries me about those type of pens but maybe they are different?  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-22 16:35

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 21:06
| Show all posts
I never use water resolvable pens, coz I'm too lazy to wash them afterwards, and sometimes they leave stains, (ink not so resolvable afterall.)  
I am very used to start right away, no gridlines. I always start from the center and work outwards, therefore no need to count the grids either. haha~
I saw someone embroider one thread horizontally and vertically to mark the grids. Works pretty well for projects with threads not colorfast.

Comments

Try to use Pilot Frixion to grid your fabric. After you finish stitching, heat the ink with an iron and it becomes translucent. I've been using it since last year and so far I have no problem with it.  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-22 18:06

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 21:24
| Show all posts
I discover the pen system. For big work, I prepare the fabric with thread. It's a long work !

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-21 22:52
| Show all posts
I never grided my work before.  I started with my last project.  It made it flow much quicker.  The prep time is made up by not having to fix or miss count later.  

I'm now working on a HAE and I don't think I could do it without the grid.  I use a fabric marker.  So far I have not had a problem.

I don't think I would ever cross stitch without it any more.  It has been worth the time and made me a quicker stitcher.

Comments

Great thank you, I was wondering that. Might have to choose a project and have a go!!  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-22 16:37

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-1-22 00:30
| Show all posts
I grid my page lines with fishing line.   A lot less work then every 10X10 square.  I do have the frixion on my list of pens to buy, but I would have to make a trip to a specialty/office store to purchase.  So I have put it off.  
In the past  I have used pencil but found it doesn't wash out.  :o(  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-1-22 16:35
| Show all posts
fei2x replied at 2013-1-21 12:50
Using grid lines helps a lot especially if you're doing a large project. But I don't use washable pe ...

Yes i have heard of those pens.. have you had any problems with the pen showing up again? As that is what worries me about those type of pens but maybe they are different?

Comments

The ink will show up again only if you put your fabric in the freezer. If it does show up again, you can always reheat your fabric again. The ink is engineered to be translucent when it comes to conta  Details Reply Post time 2013-1-22 17:55

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-1-22 16:37
| Show all posts
daisysmom replied at 2013-1-21 14:52
I never grided my work before.  I started with my last project.  It made it flow much quicker.  The  ...

Great thank you, I was wondering that. Might have to choose a project and have a go!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-4 23:45 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.070759 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list