Forgot password?
 Register
Author: icecreamcake
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Knotty floss

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-3-16 15:10
| Show all posts
I find kit threads tangle more often. I prefer Anchor as it seems smoother, but I usually use DMC as they have triple the colour range and are almost as good.   As I cross-stitch for my own enjoyment, I usually don't worry too much about it being not perfect, but when i made a birth sampler for a friend recently I was told to make every stitch perfect by sewing each stitch down between the two threads to separate them. This did make each stitch sit perfect and even, and had the added benefit of stopping it knotting, twisting and tangling. It was fairly labour intensive though.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-24 15:46
| Show all posts
I assume Thread Heaven is a wax based thread conditioner. I was taught from young to use white candle wax. Have had great results so far.
We simply cut a small piece from the candle, and run the thread strands through wax each time we thread it to the needle. It does prevent it from tangling up. The knots we let the needle unwind every now and then.
Hope this helps for those who cant get Thread Heaven.

Comments

Great idea :-)  Post time 2013-3-28 18:31

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-24 19:51
| Show all posts
I can't seem to find this thread heaven stuff, even the website only shows sale locations in the US, UK and Australia :(

Comments

Have you looked on ebay there is some on there  Post time 2013-3-28 18:30

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 02:02
| Show all posts
A cheap trick that I have recently learned about to prevent knots is to run your threaded needle through a dryer sheet. Just poke your threaded needle into the sheet and pull it through. You can also place a dryer sheet in your belt loop to keep mosquitoes away! :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 09:16
| Show all posts
For stitching requiring 2 strands of floss, I dampen it so that when it dries, it straightens. I find that it knots less.  Of course, I let it untwist every few stitches.  2 strands here means 1 long strand folded.  For 2 unconnected strands (eg 2 different colours combined), I dampen them separately, then let them dry before putting them back together.

For stitching requiring a single strand, I dampen, let it dry, and run it through wax.  This is to stiffen the single strand a little, giving it a bit of body.  2 light pulls will do.  If you see the thread cutting a groove in the wax, and flecks of wax sticking on the thread, you might have pulled too hard.  Unless wiped off, the bits tend to accummulate into white spots at the legs of stitches.  Candle wax or thread wax or Thread Haven works as well.

So far I have only treated cotton floss (and DMC metalics) this way.  Not sure about satin or silk.

Hope this helps :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-10 02:14
| Show all posts
I have used Thread Heaven and candle wax and they both work well on the metallic thread. I have only used DMC and have never had any problems.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 03:34
| Show all posts
Thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:03
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 03:06
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 15:44
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-5 14:45 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065189 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list