Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
Author: whitewitch
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Ironing Aida Cloth Suggestions Please

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-3-9 03:39
| Show all posts
whitewitch replied at 2013-3-7 22:23
I was wondering if I could do something similar (or maybe exactly the same as you).  For all my 10 ...

I do not own a dryer and simply hang the Aida on a cloth horse.
I should have specified that I wash on the machine the tissue before stitching it! In order to protect the Aida in the machine, I put it into a pillow case, so that it won't get stuck on other items.
As for the finished projects, I wash it by hand: I put it in a luke warm water bassin with shampoo or special soap for wool, gently stirr, let it in the water for about 30 min, then rinse abundantly. I do not twist the tissue but press it to eliminate as much water as I can then hang it till almost completely dry. I iron it on the back side only (so as not to flatten the stitches), exactly as R Lee does, on a towel and with medium warm iron. I do actually steam iron it and never had problems with the colour of the threads staining the tissue.
Hope this help.
B.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-3-19 00:35
| Show all posts
I haven't used any of the metallic threads, but I DO have some lovely, expensive hand-dyed I am fussing over on how to treat it.  I am a little ticked at 123stitch.  They send a charles craft fabric (the kind in the plastic tube) in the mail and the tube was (of course) crushed with a little damage to the fabric since it was only a padded envelope that had been ripped in the mailing.  I do wish they had taken it out of the tube to mail it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 02:17
| Show all posts
I use a steam iron and a pressing cloth over the aida

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-15 10:33
| Show all posts

Very nice ! Thank you for sharing !

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-3 23:58
| Show all posts
Wetting the aida to release some of the starch is a good start. Steam ironing while still wet would help a lot!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-8-23 14:07
| Show all posts
спасибо

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-9-19 08:04
| Show all posts
When my aida cloth has hard folds I usually soak in a mixture of fabric softener and cold water for one hour then iron using steam and a press cloth. If that doesn't work to remove the folds I dampen again a place on a cookie sheet into the freezer for one hour then iron again with a press cloth. The reason for the press cloth when ironing is to prevent the aida from scorching. Hope this helps you as it has always helped me. Happy stitching

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-9-19 19:25
| Show all posts
Edited by KatharinaV-NL at 2020-9-19 11:39

:D Wetting the cloth + adding good old fashioned pressure is just the right thing before stitching!

Starch in cloth is to keep the holes open and the fabric neat while in the shop for a long period of time.
After stitching just wash it and the starch comes out.
Holes are more closed now too.

Just iron it from the back while still a little damp.
Pressure from the iron onto the fabric is more important than a high temperature setting.

In general it's better not to use fabric softener or starch on finished pieces:
those chemicals can have a negative effect on the natural fibres over a longer period of time. It can even make them desintegrate.
But it's never a problem with a bit of embroidery on e.g. a childs clothing ofcourse.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-25 14:29
| Show all posts
If you don’t have a pressing cloth, keep the iron moving. Use a steam setting on dry aida, or wet it thoroughly, then iron it dry.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-1 04:43
| Show all posts
I have stitched on 100% cotton aida for years. Before I start stitching I always wash with liquid soap then rinse well and in a final rinse use ONLY a tablespoon of fabric softener then iron using a pressing cloth and hot steam iron. I have never had a problem with the aida. I do find the fabric softener helps eliminate the folds. I also repeat the process after my work is complete and have had no issues with thread bleeding but I ONLY use DMC branded thread.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 22:37 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.161145 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list