Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2908|Reply: 32
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Does DMC floss bleed?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-27 12:29
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I am about to start a project using the Magic Guide cloth from DMC. The cloth is pre-gridded and  comes out with washing in warm water.... I'm wondering, should I also prewash my DMC floss too? Will they bleed? Thanks :D

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-9-19 19:19
| Show all posts
If DMC or Anchor threads ever bleeded it was just after World War 2.

These brands are really-really-really keen on telling their manufacterers to fixate the dye.
Even to a point where people get sick :'( of dying and fixating!
(Hint: Ever wondered why DMC went 'green' all of a sudden (after FDA pressure) in 2004 and took some colours out of production and made changes to the collection?)

Another reason these two are so keen on keeping a good name of quality in the field: Their large international financial investors.
DMC is owned at this moment by BLUEGEM CAPITAL PARTNERS LLP

'Thread copycats' don't have this pressure. They can make a production mistake without being found out worldwide. They just change names of the thread a few times or even sell it anonimously.

Ofcourse it can be the case that thread is sold as DMC or Anchor, many times not even being 100% cotton, that starts to bleed when getting wet. The price of the thread often gives it away and the exact labeling too.

If you want to bleed-test before using thread:
Take a white cotton cloth. Make it wet with water. Rub intensly over the thread or fabric.
Does it leave colour residue? Than it will bleed.

Another tip:
If you have bleeding thread and you really must use it and want to fixate the colour:
use the little bottles of fixation fluid that is sold with tie-dye materials.

Please-please-please :loveliness: my Sweethearts :loveliness: be very careful with this:
fixatives are always bad for your health.
At least wear gloves and stand on your balcony or in your garden using this liquid.

Comments

Don't know how this happened that my thread comes on top after cute.panda.sue's question but I was commenting to a remark much further down below about bleeding of DMC etc. Sorry!  Post time 2020-9-20 01:29

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
GladRags + 5 Useful informations. Thanks!

View Rating Log

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-4 07:40
| Show all posts
As AnonMouse mentioned, the reds (and deep purples) did occassionally bleed in the 80s.  I haven't had any problems with bleeding colors in the last twenty years or more.  I still get nervous washing finished pieces, every time, but I've had no problems. I have never had threads "scuff' color on the fabric as I'm stitching, either.  If you're worried about washing a piece, though, the Shout Color Catchers do work well, I have been told.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-9-19 08:26
| Show all posts
I have never used grided Aida cloth so I can't tell you how well the grid will wash out but I only use DMC floss and have never had it bleed even when using dark colors.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:22
| Show all posts
From experience, DMC doesn't have bleeding issues

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-9-3 07:50
| Show all posts
1980s DMC reds did bleed when washed

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 02:13
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 12:55
| Show all posts
Edited by biteme at 2013-6-27 16:57

In my experience they don't BUT there is always the risk with any brand that there might be a batch that might. Sometimes when I work with black or reds if I have to unpick it I sometimes see a small amount of staining left behind on my Aida but once restitched over it isn't noticeable

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-27 13:05
| Show all posts
Well, most of the piece is quite dark, except for a few parts... No reds, well, not RED red, just dark pinks and browns, but lots of black... I guess I'm just worried, and picky... Also, wondering if anyone has worked with DMC Magic Guide and if you can see the grid under the lighter colours once it's been stitched over.....

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 13:13
| Show all posts
I have bad experiences with the light red made  (321, 666.817)  they bleed. Once I washed 666, the fabris turns to pink. Similarly, if you have wet hands when stitching, dyeing the fabric, with this threads.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-27 13:23
| Show all posts
:O i see. Luckily, it seems this pattern does not use any of those three colours :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 17:00
| Show all posts
I agree with other posters about reds, they can be tricky.  Even a reddish brown could be a problem.  Perhaps you could try with a small piece first to see if runs.  Buy one skein for testing and follow the instructions for washing, temperature and detergent used, and see if that colour runs.

Some people recommend that only white washing up liquid or baby shampoo is used, and to avoid detergents for woollens and silks.  

There is information on the net about fixing colours that run.  That means you have to prepare the flosses by washing and fixing before using them.  I haven't tried this myself yet, but some people recommend vinegar as a fixing agent.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-27 18:56
| Show all posts
:O thanks for the info! I'll be going and buying a few to test out!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-30 10:49
| Show all posts
Synthrapol can help getting rid of excess dye too. Otherwise, hot water and vinegar to fix it. I am a quilter too and I use them a lot for fixing fabric.

Comments

I actually tested the darker colours said to run (black, reds, etc) I tied a few of them onto a small piece of the cloth I will be using and soaked/hand washed them in warm water... I actually didn't  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-30 12:14

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-30 12:14
| Show all posts

I actually tested the darker colours said to run (black, reds, etc) I tied a few of them onto a small piece of the cloth I will be using and soaked/hand washed them in warm water... I actually didn't see any dye running or bleeding... I also washed bits of those colours with a bit of white and didn't see any colour transference.. So hopefully, it'll be okay :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-17 03:28
| Show all posts
I always wash my finished work but once i stitched a dmc kit en i spoiled water on it and it bleeded.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 03:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.050725 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list