| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2294|Reply: 21
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Does thread have the right end?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-30 16:10
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I recently read online that to some stitchers out there, embroidery thread has a right end and if you do it right, the thread will lay flater, neater and less likely to get entangled. I have never paid attention to this but if this is true, maybe it's worth some extra efforts. Sometimes I feel some threads seem to behave better but it's maybe just the thread, not the thread's end.

Could someone give me some vote according to your personal experience? Thanks!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-2-8 05:27
| Show all posts
I haven't noticed a difference, when you use a loop start you are using both directions of thread anyway
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:25
| Show all posts
I use a loop start so I havent ever noticed the 'right' or 'wrong' end

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-1 11:22
| Show all posts
Interesting information! Never noticed a difference.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-9-6 21:08
| Show all posts
First time I hear but the same, thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-4-11 18:41
| Show all posts

Verry nice work!!! Thank you for sharing:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-1 11:46
| Show all posts
Неожиданно, спасибо, поисследую

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:53
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-27 06:29
| Show all posts
Hmmm... interesting....

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-30 16:40
| Show all posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a "right" end... I just try my best to keep the threads even and not twisted so it won't be bumpy...

Comments

Here's what I learnt: 31.3 The Right End of the Floss You may have read posts which talked about "the right end" or "the direction" of the thread. Let's talk about what it means and why you should o  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-30 16:52

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-30 16:52
| Show all posts

Here's what I learnt:

31.3 The Right End of the Floss

You may have read posts which talked about "the right end" or "the direction" of the thread. Let's talk about what it means and why you should or shouldn't care. Yes, this is another of those issues where the professionals disagree.

Here are condensed comments from the different schools of thought.

School 1: Floss has a right end, and the end matters.

The end that comes out of the skein first is the right end.
If the floss is already cut, hold the two ends in one hand, between the thumb and forefinger. Allow about one half inch from each end to stick up. Now tap lightly down onto both ends at once with your other forefinger. The end that spreads more, or "blossoms" is the "right" end.
To find the right end for a single strand of floss, hold it up and run it between your thumb and forefinger. The direction that feels smoother is the right direction, and the top is the right end.
The needle should be threaded with the right end. The stitches lie better, and knots are less likely to happen.
It is bad form to stitch without paying attention to thread direction.
Some people find it easier to separate a strand when it is removed from the right end. They have less problem with tangling.
School 2: Floss has a right end, and the end doesn't matter.

If it takes a magnifying glass to see the difference in the stitches, keeping track of the right end of the thread is a waste of time.
The loop method of starting stitches (where by definition one strand is the right way and one the wrong) can help keep the back of the picture neat.
School 3: Floss does not have a right end.

There is no difference, and the tests for the "right" end give inconsistent results.
The big floss manufacturers claim that their floss does not have a nap, and therefore does not have a right end.
Modern processing methods result in flosses and yarns which do not have a right end.

Comments

Thanks for sharing this lovestitches. Extremely interesting.  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-4 04:57

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
Reptilegirl27 + 2 Interesting thank you

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-30 16:56
| Show all posts
Oh...WOW... I have never realized/noticed something like that... And I'm hoping I won't have to with my new project since I've purchased some Thread Heaven to help with the thread going through smoother and less fraying/knotting... But that is interesting  to read. O.O

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-30 17:12
| Show all posts
Hmmmm didn't know that!  I have never embroidered but I wonder if it's the same with cross stitch thread?  Good question!

Comments

I got the info from a cross stitch tutorial as cross stitch is a form of embroidery too.  Post time 2013-7-11 07:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-1 19:53
| Show all posts
Needles thread easier from the "right end"

Comments

I always thought it's easier from the right side of the needle eye.  Post time 2013-7-11 07:20

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-4 04:57
| Show all posts
lovestitches replied at 2013-6-30 03:52
Here's what I learnt:

31.3 The Right End of the Floss

Thanks for sharing this lovestitches. Extremely interesting.

Comments

Glad that you find it interesting!  Post time 2013-7-11 07:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-10 23:05
| Show all posts
I find that it doesn't matter. If you wash it when you're done, all the threads even out and shine! :)

Comments

I thought so too!  Post time 2013-7-11 07:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-23 23:12
| Show all posts
I didnt know that thanks for the info

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 05:32
| Show all posts
Thanks for all the information.  I'm sure as technology advances, our floss is made better and smoother.  I'm just glad I don't have to make my own.:lol

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 02:29 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.098351 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list