Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2032|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Questions about Q-snaps

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-7-28 04:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
I'm thinking of getting a Qsnap since I hear so many people rave how great it is.  But I don't know much about it.  So I have some questions.
1. Do I use the Qsnap like I would with a hoop?  Or do I use it like a stretch frame?  In other words, do I use a "small" one, or one big enough to go around the work like a frame?
2) Do I have to take it off everytime I'm not stitching?
3) At what size project is a Qsnap not good with?  I have a 30x50cm (11.75 x 19.75 inch) project; is that too big?

Do feel free to give me some tips too on using Qsnaps.  I'm thinking of investing in one since they seem much cheaper than a scroll frame.  Currently, I'm using a hoop.

Thanks!!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-2-8 06:18
| Show all posts
I like my 11 by 11 size, its comfortable to hold and most designs fit in it
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 03:01
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:34
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-28 09:47
| Show all posts
I have an 11X11 q-snap but find it heavy to hold.   I usually prop it up on my floor stand to make it easier to stitch.   A table or chair would also be fine to hold it up and makes it easier to flip over to run in ends.    I find it holds the fabric nice and tight and is easy to take on and off the frame.  Storage is easy too, since it comes in pieces.   

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-28 11:54
| Show all posts
It's a very nice tool. But .. if you take a big one, there's a risk that you cannot stitch the upper part of the chart beacause your arms will be too short and your eyes too bad.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-29 08:24
| Show all posts
The nice thing with q-snaps is you can combine the various sizes to come with a size that fits what you need. Take a 8 inch  square frame and a 11 inch square frame and you will have 2 8" x 11" frames. You can move the frame around like a hoop or get one that is large enough for an entire project. I don't remove my project from the frame when I'm done.

Some folks put a scrap fabric between the snap and the project to protect stitches/tighten the fit, but that's up to you.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-6 06:11
| Show all posts
Thanks for the responses!  But I don't feel satisfied.  Does anyone else have anything else to say or add?  thanks a bunch!!  I really need the input!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 09:25
| Show all posts
I love my Q snap much more than using a hoop... I'm new to cross stitching and it's much easier for me. I've also sent one to my friend who has been cross stitching for more than 15 years. She's used hoops and frames and now Qsnaps. So I'll attempt to answer your questions.

1) You use Qsnap more like a hoop in that you don't need to get one that is big enough to go around the entire work. You can move it around as your project progresses. Depending on the size of your work you can also get a bigger one (the biggest they have in 17 X 17) to cover your entire work. Although, I would not recommend that, as it is hard for your hand to reach to the top areas. And it would  be quite heavy. For me, 11X17 is the best size.

2) You do NOT have to take it off every time you're not stitching. It does NOT leave any crease marks on your work. However, you may want to make a cover for it to keep your work from getting dusty/dirty.

3) There isn't really a size project that a Qsnap is not good with. Like a hoop, you can move it around as you need to. The important thing is that it's not too heavy for you (I tend to rest the top of mine on the edge of a desk).

The only downfall that my friend and I see is if you leave small borders for your fabric. I find that 2.5inch or more border works the best for Qsnaps so you can snap in the fabric with enough space between your work and the frame to stitch fairly comfortably and be able to put your needles through if you're ending your thread at the edges. For my friend, she left about a 1.5~2 inch edge and she had to switch to a small hoop for the corners. I just left a 3inch edge and I could work on the edges with a petite needle.

A few more positive things I've noticed about the Qsnaps are:
1) If, as you stitch, the fabric becomes loose, you can simply turn the camps outward and stretch it tight again. I find that I can get this much tighter than a hoop.

2) Since it's rectangular, you get to work more easily and more working area than with a round hoop which means, less moving around once you're away from the edges.

3) It is "adjustable" in the sense that if you buy a smaller one, say 11X11, you can always buy extensions for them. (there are 3" extensions for sale) That will make them 14X14.

4) When you aren't using it, it comes apart and stores very compact.

5) If you're like me and my friend, and you get an 11X17 frame, it is big enough so you can use 2 magnets and stick your pattern on one side of your work and stitch on the other.

6) If the snaps ever get loose, you can either buy replacement snaps or you can just stick a piece of scrap cloth between your work and the snaps.

The one other downside I can think of is, the clamps are very tight, especially when you first use them. My friend "slides" them off the sides. But you may need some assistance the first couple of times you take it off.

Also, just as a mention. My friend has used scroll frames before. They are too finicky for her, and she finds them heavier. And if the cloth isn't fitted just right right, the sides which aren't held down, can get loose. She threw those away after a few tries and is now loving the Qsnap frame.

A good thing is, if you live near a Michaels, they ALWAYS have a weekly coupon of 40% off a single item. Sometimes 50% off. You can use that coupon to buy a Qsnap frame (the 11X17 I believe was $12 at my store) You can try it out for a month, and if they don't work for you, you have 30 days to return it. So the investment is less than $10 and you can still return it if you don't like it =)

Comments

Wow, detailed, thanks for all the info! It was *really* helpful. Unfortunately, I don't live in America anymore, so I cannot get to a nearby Michaels (I miss it...). I don't recall ever seeing q-sna  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-8 15:26

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 09:37
| Show all posts
thanks for all the info

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-8 15:26
| Show all posts

Wow, detailed, thanks for all the info!  It was *really* helpful.
Unfortunately, I don't live in America anymore, so I cannot get to a nearby Michaels (I miss it...).  I don't recall ever seeing q-snaps in my country either (that's why I was desperate for more info).  But thanks to modern day technology, I'll get one from amazon.uk.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-8 16:00
| Show all posts
Hello, I have more questions!!

1) What size do you gals (and guys) recommend?  I hear so many people saying the 11x11 gets heavy, but no one ever seems to talk about the 8x8.  Perhaps it is too small?  (I currently use an 8inch hoop and I like that size, but I'm not sure if preference transfers from hoop to qsnap.)
2) If I get an extension kit, do i have to get a specific extension for a specific frame?  For example, they sell 3inch extensions for the 11inch frame to make 14x14, but can i use those same extensions on an 8inch frame to make 11x11?
3) Can I mix and match?  that is, can I used an 8inch arm with an 11 inch arm to make an 8x11 frame?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's hard for me since I cannot get these in a local store to see the product myself!

Comments

Hi again I'll try to answer more of your questions. 1) Personally I have tried 11X11 but for my projects it seemed a little small and I don't like moving them around too much. I haven't tried any  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-9 07:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-9 07:11
| Show all posts
Edited by Yenilaia at 2013-8-9 07:13
luckyemma replied at 2013-8-8 16:00
Hello, I have more questions!!

1) What size do you gals (and guys) recommend?  I hear so many peopl ...

Hi again :D I'll try to answer more of your questions.

1) Personally I have tried 11X11 but for my projects it seemed a little small and I don't like moving them around too much. I haven't tried any smaller. I have tried 11X11, and own 11X17 and 17X17.  My favourite is 11X17. It may get heavy, but it depends on where/how you stitch. I stitch in front of my craft desk. One hand on top one hand on the bottom. I set it in my lap and lean the top on the edge of my desk so I'm not actually holding anything at all. If you only stitch by holding it with one hand, and stitch only with your dominant hand, it may get a little heavy. The main thing is to determine what size of project you do and where you do it. No point getting a small one to avoid the weight if your project is huge and your fabric would weigh it down anyway.

2) The extension kits fit for ALL kits. So yes, they will also fit the 8X8 because all the side tubes are the same size.

3) Yes, you can definitely mix and match. This is what it looks like:

Login/Register to enlarge
You can make any assortment of sizes to mix and match depending on what you get. The picture shows how it would join together.

Looking at this, I feel fortunate I purchased the Michael's version of snap frame. Mine is actually slightly different in how they're constructed. Usage is the same.

Login/Register to enlarge

If you could see from the picture above, it is made out of FOUR corner joints AND FOUR tubes. So if I had purchased an 11X11 with an extension kit, (4 pieces of 3inches) I could actually either make 14X14 or 11X17 (by fitting two 3inch pieces on opposite sides, one on the top and one on the bottom.) I also noticed that the Q snap ones have very smooth, round connectors. Mine actually have a ripple shape to them to keep the tubes themselves from turning.

Comments

Thank you so much for your response! I am going to order my qsnap today. I do stitch at a desk, but my current hoop is 8" and I like that size. So I'm going to get an 8" with a 3" extension to al  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-15 14:48

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 03:43 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.072286 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list