| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1490|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] What is the difference between Kreinik Blending Filament and #4?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-8-11 05:10
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious what the difference between the Kreinik Metallic Blending Filaments and  #4 braid? Are they for different purposes? Is one easier to work with than another? Or are they interchangeable? The blending filament I saw in store was half  the price of the #4 for more than double the length... Any insight would  be great :D

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:48
| Show all posts
Following this thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-11 15:55
| Show all posts
I think the difference is the thickness. By the length and price, the first should be thinner.

Comments

Is there a difference in the usage? if the chart asks for Kreinik 4 DMC 32 would that be the #4 thread?  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-11 18:02

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-11 18:02
| Show all posts

Is there a difference in the usage? if the chart asks for Kreinik 4 DMC 32 would  that be the #4 thread?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-11 21:25
| Show all posts
Blending filament (BF) is very light/thin and typically threaded in your needle with another strand or two of floss.  Braid can be used the same way or on its own, however braid is thicker.  The #4 Petite Braid size is (I think) the smallest size and it is perfect for cross stitch and embroidery.  BF has a lightness to it and offers a bit of reflection/sparkle.  Braid does the same but offers for more sparkle because in a single strand it is thicker and it is braided tiny threads.  BF has a single foil-like thread and a very fine clear synthetic thread twined with it.  

Personally, I do not like to stitch with BF at all.  I find it to break too easily.  It is easier to use if you use a shorter length of thread (maybe 10-12" versus 18") because it tangles VERY easily and is more difficult to keep secure in your needle.  It slips about all the time.  And it can easily snap in half if you tug on it too much - very frustrating!

This is why I prefer Petite Braid #4, Kreinik and Rainbow Gallery (RG) are the two that I use most.  They are comparable to one another but I just like RG best.  And the petite braid #4 is thicker than the BF but for a stitching project it can be interchangeable with the BF.  If anything, it will make a stronger sparkle to your project.

I actually prefer the RG Petite Treasure braid #4 because it is called for in more of the charts that I stitch, and I can find it on-line easily.  Also I just think it is easier to work with than the Kreinik #4 braid.  Just know that you do get a lesser amount than when you buy BF but I think it is 100% easier to stitch with.  Also you can blend it with other threads or again, use it alone.  And it rarely twists and tangles, and it is much stronger than the BF.  The only thing I would suggest, is that you use a needle with a larger eye because it is somewhat thicker and it will glide easier.  For myself, I will not use BF any longer because I can substitute the braid instead, and even though it is more expensive it is definitely worth the cost, whether using Kreinik or RG.  

Hope that gives you a better idea of the two, but of course, as always just my experience/opinion of stitching with the two.  :)

Comments

And thank you, too, Stitcherex for the coins. I think you would truly like the #4 braid much better. I use to skip using BF sometimes until I started to use the #4 braid. It was too much of a hassl  Details Reply Post time 2015-9-11 07:42
Thanks Rosebud for this share, saved me a lot of heartache - I was considering stitching a design that called for large areas using Kreinik BF . .. shudder.  Post time 2015-9-10 09:36
I've only worked with BF for now, it came with my Dimensions kit... GOODNESS, it was FUSSY! I had to keep trimming the ends to try to thread it, and then the shiny plasticky part likes to be separate  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-12 07:30
Great advices. I hate BF too. Thank you so much!  Post time 2013-8-12 01:31

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
stitcherex + 4 thank you !
cute.panda.sue + 1 Thanks!!!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-12 07:30
| Show all posts
rosebud replied at 2013-8-11 21:25
Blending filament (BF) is very light/thin and typically threaded in your needle with another strand  ...

I've only worked with BF for now, it came with my Dimensions kit... GOODNESS, it was FUSSY! I had  to keep trimming the ends to try to thread it, and then the shiny plasticky part likes to be separated from  it's own very thing thread, so I'd have to smooth it out again so it lays evenly and not twist... And it doesn't sparkle that much.. I was very sad... But this time, for my pattern, I bought the 4braid, because I assumed that that was what HAED ones were asking for... Hopefully it works better!

Comments

I almost forgot to say thank you, Yenilaia for the rate/coins. I'm happy to help!  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-12 11:23
I think you will find the #4 braid much easier to stitch with. I hope you like it.  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-12 11:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 11:21
| Show all posts
Yenilaia replied at 2013-8-11 17:30
I've only worked with BF for now, it came with my Dimensions kit... GOODNESS, it was FUSSY! I had  ...

I think you will find the #4 braid much easier to stitch with.  I hope you like it.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 11:23
| Show all posts
Yenilaia replied at 2013-8-11 17:30
I've only worked with BF for now, it came with my Dimensions kit... GOODNESS, it was FUSSY! I had  ...

I almost forgot to say thank you, Yenilaia for the rate/coins.  I'm happy to help!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 13:01
| Show all posts
I remember using BF and that was the only project I didn't finish and hated :Q the whole time doing it because of that thread.  I would gladly buy the more expensive thread.  

Comments

Especially with how little the metallic threads are actually used, I would think it's worth it. I think, after some research, the main differences is that the blending filament is often used in conjun  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-13 07:38

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-13 07:38
| Show all posts
Kathy2eggs replied at 2013-8-12 13:01
I remember using BF and that was the only project I didn't finish and hated  the whole time doing  ...

Especially with how little the metallic threads are actually used, I would think it's worth it. I think, after some research, the main differences is that the blending filament is often used in conjunction with another plain thread and it doesn't add too muck bulk, while you probably can't "blend" with the 4 braid on finer count fabric that you only use one strand of thread to stitch... But, I could always go in with the 40% off coupon from michael's or joann and get it that way XD.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-3 15:04
| Show all posts
Es cierto, puede ser un poco complicado bordar con algunos de estos hilos, pero con paciencia y probando varias técnicas yo he logrado controlarlos ;P y hasta me gustan.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 15:08 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.076292 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list