Forgot password?
 Register
Author: csc0312
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How To Wash Your Cross Stitch Piece

[Copy link]
Post time: 2014-2-8 19:48
| Show all posts
thank you for all the tips. i'm pretty scared to wash my project. I almost finishes Mickey trought the time and you have to iron on a part to finish the design. I thonk that I need to do this after washing, as I'm not sure if it will be washable afterwards. Has anybody experience with this?

what happens to the edges while washing? i have taped mine to avoid frizzing, so i have to get the tape off before washing.
what would happen if you use Frizz-stop ?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-2-11 07:25
| Show all posts
thank you.i have so many charts that call for metallics!I absolutly do not like using them LOL.thanks for the post!maybe ill give it another

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-2-11 07:28
| Show all posts
any tips for spot cleaning and removing blood?i pricked my finger and had blood on my piece before i knew it.i tried bleach on the spot only

Comments

Cold water, never hot, otherwise it sets the stain. Sounds disgusting but, your saliva is best at removing your blood. Old wives tale, suck a bit of cotton thread, use it to dab the blood spot.  Post time 2015-2-21 04:56

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-2-11 07:28
| Show all posts
any tips for spot cleaning and removing blood?i pricked my finger and had blood on my piece before i knew it.i tried bleach on the spot only

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-7-13 21:58
| Show all posts
I have always washed the finished project.  You need to keep an eye on it to watch for dye (especially hand dyed threads).  You can usually tell if it's clean--it won't always take 15 minutes.  Just rinse with cold water throroughly.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-8-2 05:08
| Show all posts
Thanks for the advise. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-8-3 20:52
| Show all posts
My mum taught me the same process you describe :) and I do it for each project when finished. Thanks a lot for the info anyway !!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-8-31 04:44
| Show all posts
Thank you for your advice

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-8-31 17:15
| Show all posts
I wash most of my work anything using anchor or dmc are  perfectly fine  but be very  careful with older kits and threads (from the 90s and earlier ) ...a lot of the colours do bleed...I recently completed a large dimensions kit and washed it to find the reds and greens bled onto the Aida (luckily not onto the other threads tho and it's solidly stitched so  nothing showing on the design could easily  be covered with the mount and frame ... I do not wash  sewings stitched on or with hand dyed materials or silk as those tend to be very delicate and not colorfast.. I usually don't iron pieces with metallic threads in them and  i pin block them to shape and let them air dry ...or if I do use very low heat and iron through a towel..if you do plan to iron metalics it's best to test a bit of thread first some  kinds are more plastic based than others and prone to melting ...washing really does make sewings look better tho...colours much more vibrant and the stitches fill out more and look more even  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-8-31 17:15
| Show all posts
Edited by rosemaryjayne at 2014-8-31 10:10

oh and...just dont worry too much :) most modern threads and fabrics are made to be washed...a lot of people use pre gridded aida (magic count or easy guide) which have grid lines that wash out...and even more people grid their faric with wash-out pens ..
if you dont want to wash fully even a little dab over with a damp sponge can work wonders   

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-29 01:22 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.048936 sec., 13 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list