| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Allura
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Pre-Washing DMC Thread? (To do/not do, and how?) Questions!

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-2-15 04:16
| Show all posts
I've never washed DMC threads before I've stitched with them, and I have frequently washed finsished pieces, and not had problems. I've only ever handwashed cross stitch in luke warm water, with a bit of fairy liquid in it.

But I have shoved older tablecloths embroidered with DMC into the washer on 30 degrees and again had no problems. I use a color catcher, that I buy at the supermarket, just in case, but it's always come out clean, so I probably haven't needed it.

I do prewash my fabrics though. To get out those stubborn fold creases, and to check for any potential shrinkage, before I put my embroidery on there. I've seen the results when the ground fabric has shrunk, and the embroidery floss hasn't. It isn't pretty.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-6 21:03
| Show all posts
I'm horrible -- I never wash my projects before or after. I just try not to get them dirty :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-6 21:49
| Show all posts
grote stukken was ik altijd omdat ik er te lang mee bezig ben geweest. De laatste stukken bewaar ik tegenwoordig in plastic als ik er niet mee bezig ben, zo blijven ze mooi

Comments

Thanks so much for your words of advice.  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-9 07:34

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-3-9 07:34
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
popsjens

Login/Register to enlarge
2015-3-6 21:49

grote stukken was ik altijd omdat ik er te lang mee bezig ben geweest. De laatste stukken bewaar ik  ...

Thanks so much for your words of advice.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-10 19:53
| Show all posts
I don't wash the threads either, but I am careful with dark colors, I have heard before that red can be a problem

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-11 02:39
| Show all posts
When I first started stitching some 20 years ago, I used to "set" my dmc floss before using.  It was a combination of vinegar and water and then rinse in water.  Well, I took a break from stitching for a few years and when I came back I never "set" the dmc floss again.  And I haven't had any troubles with color bleeding.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 06:27
| Show all posts
I've never prewashed my DMC threads and haven't had a problem.  I have never used a bright red which I heard can run so you should prewash

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 03:00
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:50
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 13:34 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.051357 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list