Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1338|Reply: 16
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Dyeing Aida

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-4-7 04:29
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi has anyone tried to tie dye their own aida cloth at all and if so how did it turn out ??????
any hints or how to's  :)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2015-11-19 09:25
| Show all posts
Edited by oldwoman at 2015-11-19 09:31

I recently dyed my first piece of linen. I used a high temp dye which you are supposed to boil. I found them less expensive than the 'cold' dyes. I did the background colour in a pot on the stove, then dripped a second colour over, sealed it in a plastic bag and microwaved it to heat set it. I boiled it a bit more after that to make sure it was set - it was, I soaked it in an oxi stain remover to make sure. It may not have needed all the heat setting a I gave it but it was a first time experiment. It didn't turn out the colour I intended either, but you cant really tell what the colour is from a sticker on the container. Any way I know a little more for the next time I try.
IMG_0254.JPG
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-17 23:33
| Show all posts
I read somewhere you could dye it with martha stewart fabric medium and acrylic paint but in my country is not easy to find this product... The dyed aida is very expensive...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:30
| Show all posts
Waiting for the answer

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 03:09
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-4-15 22:19
| Show all posts
berryberry, I have not dyed mine but i am glad that you asked this question as I would like to know the process also.  I hope someone answers soon!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-4-16 03:57
| Show all posts
hi trublu2u yes I am the same I would love to know how as I have seen some that you can buy dyed but it is soooooo expensive

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-7 11:11
| Show all posts
I have not dyed any aida cloth but I imagine the process would be the same as dying tshirts or any kind of clothing, which I HAVE done. I happen to work in the Custom Framing department at my local craft store (A.C. Moore in the US) and people bring in some WONDERFUL stuff on dyed fabrics.

I would use some easy to buy fabric dye (like RIT Dye or Tulip Brand (store brand at ACMoore)) and place a few drops in a tub or basin - whatever you would normally use to wash your completed work. The color depends on how long you soak the fabric in the dye and the intensity of the color depends on the ratio of dye to water. In other words - the more dye in the water, the strong the color is. But then again the color transfer would be stronger the longer you leave it in the dye.

In any case, once you've dyed the cloth, wring out the excess water and let dry. I would recommend placing the drying fabric on some kind of sheet or tarp that you wouldn't mind being stained from any excess dye that runs off the aida. Depending on the type of dye you've used, you may have to rinse with cold water or use heat to set the dye permanently, but be careful when stitching to watch out for color transfer. So in other words, don't use white thread on a red fabric that you've freshly dyed. Also, I find that aida cloth loosens up and becomes much more pliable when wet, and then stiffens up again once it's dry. I'm not too sure how that might affect the dying process, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

I hope this helps! Please if anyone tries it let us all know! :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-7 18:34
| Show all posts
I use only natural colors - black tea, coffee and onions.  Answers about coloring are in older posts, search.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-13 18:06
| Show all posts
Using natural dyes is the best, from what i have read with other dyes can run on washing a bit risky if you have to wash your completed project. Most of the websites selling hand-dyed fabric do not guarantee fabric colour

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-18 01:07
| Show all posts
I was going to dye some aida as I needed a huge piece of black and couldn't find any unless I paid 10 times more than normal.  After searching online, I found a whole bunch of posts that said the color is a lot better and will stay if you use acrylic paint and fabric medium as dying can fade and wash out, and sometimes has bled into the finished product.  I bought the paint and medium at hobby lobby and then found they had the black Aida in the size I needed so I still haven't done it yet.  If you see any Aida that has patterns on it at the store, they use paint on them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-5 10:17
| Show all posts
I've thought about doing it many times, but always a bit leery to actually go all in and do it.  Maybe someday!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-3 02:27
| Show all posts
Hello! I dyed some aida, and it looks very good. I drop two or more textil colour into shaving foam, and then mix them like marbled, and press the fabric into the foam. I found the method on internet.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
tmerickson + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-14 16:52
| Show all posts
i asked same question with you...i am waiting for the answer too..:)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-3 23:10 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.074589 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list