Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 12090|Reply: 97
Collapse the left

[Typical Courses] Experience Share-- Quick to Grid the Aida Fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-3-27 19:14
| Show all posts |Read mode

Before I write this course, I want to thank my sister. All of the tools are provided by her. She is my cross stitch teacher because she taught me everything on cross stitch once I know cross stitch.
1st step is to prepare the tools. Put aida fabric on table, and prepare a pencil and ruler.

Tips: prepare a pencil instead of a water soluble pen which is hard to wash. I frequently use pencil, wax pencil and chalk.

There are two kinds of ruler, one is soft and the other is hard.
61111.jpg

The second step, you should leave enough edge generally. In other words, leave 5CM for each edge.

5111111111.jpg

You can see that 5 CM for each edge.This is very important,

The third step, choose one side to count the grids. 10 grids for each square and marked.

20081008_10cc7cc38cc4390ed7eaLparxz9u66de.jpg

Another side  is the same for 10 grids for each square.

20081008_b0e4604afade667097fbrTfZJe7VjJK.jpg

The fourth step, to draw the straight line by vertical.

20081008_2b293c537482e240a9f1BkgexjU559.jpg

Finally, horizontal straight lines intersects to form a square.

20081008_7e35729b4154de120d3b7mA2qMNiQoFH.jpg

More to say, if you draw for the big aida fabric, I suggest that you should draw parts first instead of drawing the whole.

Why? There's two reasons, one is the aida fabric won't get dirty, and second is the handwriting will not shade away.

One more tips for count the grids.

First, we must remember that the cloth is intersected by lines, so that there are horizontal lines and vertical lines.

Second, count by even number. two to four. Six, eight, ten.

Third, The starting point in front of the grid is a vertical bar, then to ten, the end must be vertical.

Whereas,the starting point is in front of the line is a horizontal bar, then to ten, the end must be horizontal.

REPOST FOR YOUR REFERENCE!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-4-7 19:43
| Show all posts
update: Why not use wtaer soluble pens? I have had never bad experiences with it, wash it with lukewarm water - but be sure you make your floss colorfast at first (before you stitch) so they won´t bleed ... As you mentioned, I grid only a little part at first, in little projects. In bigger ones I use a thread called easy guide, bright orange in color, you can reuse it after finishing your work and it is easy to pull out of the fabric! Takes a little time but absolutely worth! But anyway, the most important thing of XS is having fun =)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-4-29 19:45
| Show all posts

This is what I use as well, i.e., water soluble pens. However it works best for Aida as no pen I know is fine enough to make a distinct line on evenweave. I will sometimes make small crosses at intersections on evenweave, however I don't consider it safe and I will count every time just in case. But with Aida I can rely on the lines as they are clear.

Comments

The Frixion lines come back if you get them cold, not sure at what temperature but they do in the freezer.  Details Reply Post time 2020-1-5 13:56
The Pilot Frixion pens come in a fine tip. They make a cleaner line than the water soluble pens so are easier to work with. The lines come out beautifully when you iron your fabric. Love these!  Post time 2019-4-29 20:53

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-4-29 21:34
| Show all posts
Bordadeira

Login/Register to enlarge
2019-4-29 19:45

This is what I use as well, i.e., water soluble pens. However it works best for Aida as no pen I k ...

SallySue I've seen people use frixion pens and the lines didn't go away, that's why I'm weary of using them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-5 13:56
| Show all posts
Bordadeira

Login/Register to enlarge
2019-4-29 19:45

This is what I use as well, i.e., water soluble pens. However it works best for Aida as no pen I k ...

The Frixion lines come back if you get them cold, not sure at what temperature but they do in the freezer.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-8-11 09:25
| Show all posts
Gridding is essential for me, but takes so long! Thank you for these tips.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-7 00:24
| Show all posts
I would be wary of using pencil, I wouldn't want permanent marks.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 08:37
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing this tutorial with us!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-1 19:35
| Show all posts
thank you for the help.. very interesting information :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-20 17:55
| Show all posts
This makes  things easier

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-23 06:38
| Show all posts
Está genial.  Me encanta

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-5 21:22
| Show all posts
Thank you for posting this reference.  I tried it and it worked like a dream.   I have been cross stitching for years.  I would get so upset because I would loose my way.  This really helped out a lot.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-31 15:50
| Show all posts
Does the pencil wash out easily? I do hope so...if your answer is "YES" I will try this as I am always doing large projects and lose my place - doing this will help me a lot!
Thank you for your post.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-1 00:19
| Show all posts
Whereas,the starting point is in front of the line is a horizontal bar, then to ten, the end must be horizontal.
admin Post at 27-3-2009 11:14

That is an excellent advice, I use it myself too. It is good on stitching on evenweave over two, too. :-)

A tip on the "water soluble pens": one of my friends used it, and washed the piece with washing powder. The lines never came out. Clear water, it is important!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-3 23:33
| Show all posts
Sounds an easy way to anyone who wants a grid...but would all those lines wash off?
I usually use running stitch along the center lines and all around and count from there.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-17 20:47
| Show all posts
it is great for large projects :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-8-14 23:09
| Show all posts
Big Pictures like HAED .... is good like that!!!thanks a lot!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-11-19 23:08
| Show all posts
Does it not smudge or get marks on the fabric and threads?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 01:05
| Show all posts
Does the pencil riub off on white threads? I have tried this tecnique with a pen that washes out on aida and it worked wonderfully!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-21 02:23
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for the post!
But I would also like to know is it safe to use ordinary pencil for charting! If so, that would be great! I'm afraid to use water soluble pen, because I usually don't stitch background and it will look bad if there are marks left. So I use running stitch or French chalk (tailor chalk), but pencil would be much more handy.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 08:30 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.055388 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list