Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1557|Reply: 45
Collapse the left

Cost of items

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-11-12 07:18
| Show all posts |Read mode
I know this has been discussed before but I've seen a HUGE increase in people charging 100 GC for their upload.  Now, I know it's not "real" money but it just seems out and outright greedy to charge that much when it takes so looooooong to build up GC.  Almost everything I upload I've purchased on my own - even things that are twice as much as those posted by people asking 100 GC, I can't seem to bring myself to go above 75 GC and I even felt greedy myself.  Anyone else feel the cost has gotten way out of hand or is it just old fashioned me??

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
MadCatter + 2 Agreed!

View Rating Log

Post time: 2023-12-21 09:47
| Show all posts
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-13 11:46
| Show all posts
Edited by Bleunoko at 2017-12-13 11:47

I try keep  anything i share at 50 gc. But I've noticed what I receive is less and less. I used to get 45 gc now I'm only getting 30/35 gc. I'm with the charge less get more downloads overall thinking.  And I loath the read permissions!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-19 08:12
| Show all posts
jademonkey

Login/Register to enlarge
2017-11-15 13:33

I'm interested in 1 pattern offered in a multi-part book of 8.  I've tried to like a few of the re ...

MadCatter - it's about greed basically.  Think about the time you put in on this site to get enough GC to "buy" something that cost 100 GC and another 30 GC to download - is your time not valuable also?  It's not really "free" - nothing is ever really free IMHO.  I have plenty of GCs, I refuse to give them to greedy people.  I'd have to have one of my grandchildren begging for me to make the item and be stone cold broke, unable to actually "buy" the pattern to download it from here for 100 GC.  Mark my words, this is the start - soon the average price will be 150 GC and it will steadily increase from there.  What happened to friendly, and sharing so everyone could enjoy?  Yes, I get riled up when I see greed no matter were it is, even the hotel who raises it's prices because there's a big event in town for the weekend (yes, that really happened, and YES I refused to pay their prices - I stayed somewhere else and had just as a good a time in the evening with all the other knitters and spinners in the lobby of the hotel I stayed at AND when I asked the hotel that usually charges $139/night why it was $239/night they were honest and told me because of the event in town they raised their prices).  Since everything is anonymous (except our posts here), apparently the people charging the high amounts don't see the comments, nor do they care.  What is to be gained by charging such a big amount of GCs?  My daughter would tell you I don't pay full price for anything so I guess it's just my nature and apparently I'm in the minority LOL.

Comments

Sorry Knitter, I only just saw your reply to me now. I think I have been misunderstood as I'm agreeing that the cost is too high and not in the spirit of sharing Today one of the new cross stitching  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-22 15:29

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-12 10:06
| Show all posts
StitchFairy

2017-11-11 18:49

I feel that it depends on the content, if I upload a small chart it is very little GC. If it is a bo ...

You're very kind.  I guess I'm a glass half empty type of person (always looking on the down side instead of the upside of something).  It may be new posters trying to build up their GC quickly but I think some people (me for instance) gets really put off by their pricing.  This is after all, a "sharing" site and they're making it difficult for new members to download.  I also don't understand why some people limit who can see the posts by user group since once again, this is a sharing group.  You don't charge excessive GC even for large books.  I'd rather put a lower price on something and hope MORE people will download.  I just refuse to download something that will ultimately cost 130 GC when you factor in the download cost.  That one item would mean you'd have to post 26 times at 5 GC per post or the same amount of times for hourly posts to get that many.  Many people don't have the time to spend in front of the computer to do that.  They work,  have families and obligations that come before pleasure (I know I do).  It would have to be something I'm definitely going to make or have been unable to obtain anywhere else for me to do that.  Thanks for your response, glad to see someone read my post :-)  Happy stitching!

Comments

No, you are not a half empty person. You are correct, these people are greedy, no need for it.  Post time 2017-11-12 22:53
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-14 03:07
| Show all posts
jademonkey

2017-11-13 09:37

I've been using another popular pattern site since I started knitting over 10 years ago.  This morni ...

Apparently people don't get the "sharing" part of the site.  I am delighted when I find an older pattern that has been posted for free.  I think it's fair to charge something though since the uploader took the time to get the patterns, download photos, and upload the whole package with description to the site.  

We have two people who create in my knitting guild (both on other popular sites).  Both of them charge about 1/2 of what you mentioned (and one of them is also an engineer who does extremely intricate lace so you know the charting is difficult).  I think it most certainly does boil down to greed on the part of creators and the people sharing here.  I'm on SS and haven't received an increase in years (everything they give us as an increase automatically goes to Medicare so why they bother I don't know - taking from one hand to put into the other).  For me to acquire something from other sites is really a treat since funds are limited.  I guess that's why it upsets me so to see the greed.  Someday these folks may be in the same position as I am and perhaps they'll understand better.  Not complaining about my situation, I'm very grateful for what I do have!

Comments

I seems to be how it works... Sites start off with a majority of the patterns being freely shared and then the price starts to slowly creep up until they reach the ridiculous stage. I'm in the same  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-14 23:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-19 03:14
| Show all posts
TheKnitter

2017-11-17 14:16

Of all the new posts, there seems to be a majority that are 80 GC - WHY?  Apparently those posting t ...

I started buying patterns over 10 years ago on another popular site and remember the majority were free there too.  
Little by little they crept up until now, I'd guess the average price for what I buy is about $6.50, but I've seen single patterns as high as $12!  And I refuse to pay that much.

Patterns have to be purchased with actual $ by someone to be uploaded here, so the higher the actual $ the higher GC's will be charged.  
I have downloaded a few that cost 80 GC (total) and that's really as high as I'll go for a single pattern.  The reason I was willing to pay the GC price was because it would have cost over $60 to buy them elsewhere.  

But you're right, there are some excessively greedy ones around that are charging GC's out-of-proportion to the "worth" of the pattern.  We all personally decide the "worth" based on personal taste, complexity of design, construction, whatever your criteria is and then choose to buy or not.

As for uploading, I decide cost, if any, on the same basis.   If I get it for free I post it for free but if I paid for it there will be a reasonable, but not excessive charge.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-18 03:16
| Show all posts
Edited by TheKnitter at 2017-11-17 14:51

Of all the new posts, there seems to be a majority that are 80 GC - WHY?  Apparently those posting think their items are GOLD.  I'll comment on how nice they are, and they are nice, I'll get my 5 GC for posting but I won't download at that cost (yes, yes, I know it's not real money but 110 GC to download one item???  REALLY?).  I'm so loving going through the older posts where items are free and you only pay the download cost of 30 GC - how about the rest of you?  It's hard enough to level up here without people being greedy with the download cost IMHO.  I know several members who just don't upload anymore and I'm close to that point myself.  Have I mentioned I hate greed?  Oh yeah, I remember, I have SEVERAL times.  If others are not willing to share at a reasonable cost I think others like me will just stop upload.
I'm adding to the original post here because as I've gone through the new uploads I'm seeing MANY people who are downloading at the cost of 80 and 100 GCs so apparently I'm out of step with the other people on this site.  They obviously don't care about the cost (and that's fine - that's what makes the world go 'round - different opinions, we can agree to disagree).  

Comments

I started buying patterns over 10 years ago on another popular site and remember the majority were free there too. Little by little they crept up until now, I'd guess the average price for what I bu  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-19 03:14

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-22 15:29
| Show all posts
Edited by MadCatter at 2017-11-22 15:31
TheKnitter

2017-11-19 08:12

MadCatter - it's about greed basically.  Think about the time you put in on this site to get enoug ...

Sorry Knitter, I only just saw your reply to me now.  I think I have been misunderstood as I'm agreeing that the cost is too high and not in the spirit of sharing

Today one of the new cross stitching charts was 200 coin, which I expect will become the norm by January. Yesterday nearly all of them had the ridiculously high download cost, not purchase price, of 199 and when I questioned why they had been set so high on one of the posts I had admin "ban delete" my comment with the referrence "irrelevant". I don't know if that means I've been given a warning and if I question again I will be banned? but I asked in a respectful way and was genuinely just curious why anyone would do that so now I won't comment with anything more than the generic thanks for sharing.

*edite to add* I did not download the chart!  but have been caught out with a hidden download cost like that before so know to be aware of it

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-15 08:43
| Show all posts
If it's split properly you can't even open it without all attachments, but even if files are split and then zipped then no there is no way to tell what's in it until downloaded. But if I recall rightly you actually still get charged the 'cost' regardless of which part you download first, at least on ones with a singular cost involved. So the number difference is more likely to be because a download failed and they had to re-download, or a mod is checking if it downloads properly because someone said it failed, rather than people only choosing certain parts. Or people like me can't afford to get all at once so collect it bit by bit over time.

For the record I wasn't trying to not pay for a pattern! I just have a habit of starting from the bottom and working my way up through parts. It's just less mouse movement from the comments and rating section and I have carpal tunnel so easier for me

Comments

I'm interested in 1 pattern offered in a multi-part book of 8. I've tried to like a few of the remaining 7 but I know I'd never make them. When I add up the book price + the several 30GC fees it's r  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-16 02:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-12 07:49
| Show all posts
Edited by StitchFairy at 2017-11-12 07:50

I feel that it depends on the content, if I upload a small chart it is very little GC. If it is a book or magazine that has lots of pages and multiple parts I try to put the GC appropriately. If it is a mag with two parts I will charge 25GC each part. I had thought of doing one part at 50 and the other at 0, but then I thought people might only download the 0 GC part. Also I take in consideration if it is a rare out of print, expensive , or super popular.
I try to also take in consideration that each download is -30 and the cost you set in GC. For example if a chart costs -25GC (set by the uploader) The chart total cost will be -55 (-25 for uploader & -30 for pindiy).

I think that some of the high cost items may be greed, but may be that the uploader doesn't understand how the charges apply. I didn't at first.

Comments

I don't really understand the part about being rare or popular as if I had something to share I would just share it no matter how many people will buy, 1 or 100. But I do thank you for thinking about  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-13 04:09
You're very kind. I guess I'm a glass half empty type of person (always looking on the down side instead of the upside of something). It may be new posters trying to build up their GC quickly but I  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-12 10:06

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-12 22:52
| Show all posts
You are 100% right.  It started with that one person and evolved.  People are very greedy  this is suppose to be a friendly, sharing site...no more.  I don't comment or rate people who are greedy.   

Comments

Perhaps they'll read this and get the message. OR, folks, just don't download the items. I would almost guarantee that will stop the greed. Not getting ANY GC will surely send a message. Thanks fo  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-13 01:32

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-13 01:32
| Show all posts
sundrop016

2017-11-12 09:52

You are 100% right.  It started with that one person and evolved.  People are very greedy  this is s ...

Perhaps they'll read this and get the message.  OR, folks, just don't download the items.  I would almost guarantee that will stop the greed.  Not getting ANY GC will surely send a message.  Thanks for your comments :-)

Comments

they don't care. I left a message on someone's site about their costs, they ignored it. I think its up to the mods, but they have the most people can charge is 999. Go figure  Post time 2017-11-13 02:00

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-13 04:00
| Show all posts
I 100% agree too. They are not sharing for the right reason!

Not everyone is in a position to earn lots of coin as they don't have patterns to share, which is why they have joined the group. I love that many of the older patterns were shared free, even books and magazines. I think this must have been a much more caring group a few years ago.

Comments

I Thanked Sundrop privately yesterday as I didn't realize the comment was posted here too. Despite it all, there really are some wonderful generous people in this group!!!  Post time 2017-11-15 08:46
I see you don't have many coins so I'm sending you some. Enjoy  Post time 2017-11-14 06:32

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-13 04:09
| Show all posts
StitchFairy

2017-11-12 07:49

I feel that it depends on the content, if I upload a small chart it is very little GC. If it is a bo ...

I don't really understand the part about being rare or popular as if I had something to share I would just share it no matter how many people will buy, 1 or 100. But I do thank you for thinking about the cost and how the download tax adds to it, especially with multiple part files. More should be like you!

Comments

If I had multiple part files I wouldn't charge at all since each one would cost 30 GC. I've seen as many as 6 parts to something - 180 GC just to get all parts - I won't do it. I've learned how to d  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-14 03:12

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-13 22:37
| Show all posts
I've been using another popular pattern site since I started knitting over 10 years ago.  This morning I saw a nice but not spectacular cardigan going for $12. That's much too much for a single pattern!  So, I think it must be a trend, not just here, but on others sites as well.  I agree with the TheKnitter's comment "just don't download the items".  If the price seems excessive on any site I just pass it by.  

I uploaded quite a bit to reach DIY.2 because many of the patterns I was interested in had "read permissions", which I find stupid, but I've not charged over 50GC.  Also, if I get a pattern for free I post it for free here.

Comments

Apparently people don't get the "sharing" part of the site. I am delighted when I find an older pattern that has been posted for free. I think it's fair to charge something though since the uploader  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-14 03:07

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-14 03:12
| Show all posts
MadCatter

2017-11-12 15:09

I don't really understand the part about being rare or popular as if I had something to share I wo ...

If I had multiple part files I wouldn't charge at all since each one would cost 30 GC.  I've seen as many as 6 parts to something - 180 GC just to get all parts - I won't do it.  I've learned how to decrease the size and I would try that to see if I could get it under the upload limit.  

And, I think you're right, the group has evolved from when it first started.  I think the older members were more "giving".  It seems to be an "I/me" society now more than ever before.  Perhaps because people like me grew up with less we want to give more???

Comments

I've seen some with up to 11 parts and each costing 50 plus the 30 to download on top of that. I also got caught out when one had a low cost purchase cost but a hidden download cost of 199!  Post time 2017-11-15 10:51
I have a question about multiple part files. Example: When a book or magazine is broken down into 6 parts I've noticed that the download number for each part is not equal which I take to mean peopl  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-14 22:36

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 05:01 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.054387 sec., 11 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list