Forgot password?
 Register
Author: TheKnitter
Collapse the left

Cost of items

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-11-17 07:29
| Show all posts
I understand and it is sad as others may have the same pattern and be happy to share with much lower or no cost but then they can't.

Not meaning rudeness but it does seem hypocritical to worry about people only saving part of a file without paying 'unreal money' given the nature of this site. I am very greatful because I don't have spare $ for my hobby and many things I like are out of print, but I do also worry how it effects the designers in the 'real' world cost of things too

Comments

I wasn't actually worried or attempting to circumvent the fee system. I just questioned why parts of the same book/magazine were downloaded more than other parts. Like you, I'm not in a position to  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-18 02:16
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-18 02:16
| Show all posts

I wasn't actually worried or attempting to circumvent the fee system.  I just questioned why parts of the same book/magazine were downloaded more than other parts.

Like you, I'm not in a position to spend $ on patterns and so I was happy to find this site.
I'm getting used to it but it's still not easy or intuitive to navigate and there are few "how do I..." instructions.

As to paying with "unreal money"...  Well, no, it's not "real" but it does have value because it's the currency used on this site.  I could go on a GC buying spree but I'd rather wait for the things I really like and can afford to buy all the materials needed to make it.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-18 03:16
| Show all posts
Edited by TheKnitter at 2017-11-17 14:51

Of all the new posts, there seems to be a majority that are 80 GC - WHY?  Apparently those posting think their items are GOLD.  I'll comment on how nice they are, and they are nice, I'll get my 5 GC for posting but I won't download at that cost (yes, yes, I know it's not real money but 110 GC to download one item???  REALLY?).  I'm so loving going through the older posts where items are free and you only pay the download cost of 30 GC - how about the rest of you?  It's hard enough to level up here without people being greedy with the download cost IMHO.  I know several members who just don't upload anymore and I'm close to that point myself.  Have I mentioned I hate greed?  Oh yeah, I remember, I have SEVERAL times.  If others are not willing to share at a reasonable cost I think others like me will just stop upload.
I'm adding to the original post here because as I've gone through the new uploads I'm seeing MANY people who are downloading at the cost of 80 and 100 GCs so apparently I'm out of step with the other people on this site.  They obviously don't care about the cost (and that's fine - that's what makes the world go 'round - different opinions, we can agree to disagree).  

Comments

I started buying patterns over 10 years ago on another popular site and remember the majority were free there too. Little by little they crept up until now, I'd guess the average price for what I bu  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-19 03:14

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-19 03:14
| Show all posts
TheKnitter

Login/Register to enlarge
2017-11-17 14:16

Of all the new posts, there seems to be a majority that are 80 GC - WHY?  Apparently those posting t ...

I started buying patterns over 10 years ago on another popular site and remember the majority were free there too.  
Little by little they crept up until now, I'd guess the average price for what I buy is about $6.50, but I've seen single patterns as high as $12!  And I refuse to pay that much.

Patterns have to be purchased with actual $ by someone to be uploaded here, so the higher the actual $ the higher GC's will be charged.  
I have downloaded a few that cost 80 GC (total) and that's really as high as I'll go for a single pattern.  The reason I was willing to pay the GC price was because it would have cost over $60 to buy them elsewhere.  

But you're right, there are some excessively greedy ones around that are charging GC's out-of-proportion to the "worth" of the pattern.  We all personally decide the "worth" based on personal taste, complexity of design, construction, whatever your criteria is and then choose to buy or not.

As for uploading, I decide cost, if any, on the same basis.   If I get it for free I post it for free but if I paid for it there will be a reasonable, but not excessive charge.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-19 08:02
| Show all posts
jademonkey

2017-11-16 12:11

This thread is about the high GC of some patterns.  To "pay" an outrageous price feels like I appr ...

Yes, the things I've uploaded cost REAL  money too and yet I felt greedy charing 75 GC for something I paid quite a bit of money for.  Practically every post today was 100 GC with a few 80 GC.  I work just as hard for the actual money I spend as everyone else does.  I now make a point to put it in writing, thanking people who upload and charge a REASONABLE cost - then I actually download the item!  This is how it starts - mark my words, pretty soon the average will be 150 GC, and it will continue to rise.  Since leveling up and getting GC can be difficult, they'll drive people away so if that's what the site owners think is appropriate who am I to question it...

Comments

I like your idea of thanking people who charge a reasonable cost and that's something I'm going to start doing too.  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-19 21:24

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-19 08:12
| Show all posts
jademonkey

2017-11-15 13:33

I'm interested in 1 pattern offered in a multi-part book of 8.  I've tried to like a few of the re ...

MadCatter - it's about greed basically.  Think about the time you put in on this site to get enough GC to "buy" something that cost 100 GC and another 30 GC to download - is your time not valuable also?  It's not really "free" - nothing is ever really free IMHO.  I have plenty of GCs, I refuse to give them to greedy people.  I'd have to have one of my grandchildren begging for me to make the item and be stone cold broke, unable to actually "buy" the pattern to download it from here for 100 GC.  Mark my words, this is the start - soon the average price will be 150 GC and it will steadily increase from there.  What happened to friendly, and sharing so everyone could enjoy?  Yes, I get riled up when I see greed no matter were it is, even the hotel who raises it's prices because there's a big event in town for the weekend (yes, that really happened, and YES I refused to pay their prices - I stayed somewhere else and had just as a good a time in the evening with all the other knitters and spinners in the lobby of the hotel I stayed at AND when I asked the hotel that usually charges $139/night why it was $239/night they were honest and told me because of the event in town they raised their prices).  Since everything is anonymous (except our posts here), apparently the people charging the high amounts don't see the comments, nor do they care.  What is to be gained by charging such a big amount of GCs?  My daughter would tell you I don't pay full price for anything so I guess it's just my nature and apparently I'm in the minority LOL.

Comments

Sorry Knitter, I only just saw your reply to me now. I think I have been misunderstood as I'm agreeing that the cost is too high and not in the spirit of sharing Today one of the new cross stitching  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-22 15:29
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-19 21:24
| Show all posts
TheKnitter

2017-11-18 19:02

Yes, the things I've uploaded cost REAL  money too and yet I felt greedy charing 75 GC for somethi ...

I like your idea of thanking people who charge a reasonable cost and that's something I'm going to start doing too.  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-20 03:36
| Show all posts
I'm adding something to this post - apparently they've changed the amount received from your downloads.  I saw a post today that folks are only receiving 70% of the cost so maybe that's why the price has gone up between 80 and 100 GC.   If everyone is willing to pay that much and we're only getting 70% as opposed to the 90% we USED to get, shoot, I'll start charging that too.  Why not.  I'm fed up with the whole mess..  It would be very nice if they told us these changes were being made (and perhaps they have and I just missed it???).  I'm going to try and see if it's posted anywhere.

Comments

My transaction tax has been 30% since I joined in August. I'm still finding this site hard to navigate; finding things is a bit random. I'd been using the site for months before I bumped into info a  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-20 21:44

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-20 21:44
| Show all posts
TheKnitter

2017-11-19 14:36

I'm adding something to this post - apparently they've changed the amount received from your downloa ...

My transaction tax has been 30% since I joined in August.  I'm still finding this site hard to navigate; finding things is a bit random.  I'd been using the site for months before I bumped into info about the hourly bonuses!  
I wonder how many other people don't know they can earn more GC's this way to offset the higher trans. tax?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-22 15:29
| Show all posts
Edited by MadCatter at 2017-11-22 15:31
TheKnitter

2017-11-19 08:12

MadCatter - it's about greed basically.  Think about the time you put in on this site to get enoug ...

Sorry Knitter, I only just saw your reply to me now.  I think I have been misunderstood as I'm agreeing that the cost is too high and not in the spirit of sharing

Today one of the new cross stitching charts was 200 coin, which I expect will become the norm by January. Yesterday nearly all of them had the ridiculously high download cost, not purchase price, of 199 and when I questioned why they had been set so high on one of the posts I had admin "ban delete" my comment with the referrence "irrelevant". I don't know if that means I've been given a warning and if I question again I will be banned? but I asked in a respectful way and was genuinely just curious why anyone would do that so now I won't comment with anything more than the generic thanks for sharing.

*edite to add* I did not download the chart!  but have been caught out with a hidden download cost like that before so know to be aware of it

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-29 03:43 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.045114 sec., 9 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list