| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1489|Reply: 8
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] how can you calculate the length & stitches???

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-7-24 17:21
| Show all posts |Read mode
i have just started a patterns and it requires 2m of a dmc and so on.

how much stitches can you do from one skein of dmc (8m) and how can you calculate that?

sorry for my sillyness, never had to calculate how much thread i would need for a certain project/colour before.

thanks in advance for help!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2011-7-24 18:32
| Show all posts
Hi zeemeermin,
Interesting question! I dont know any calculation on how to do this, as there are many variables such as how many times you have to start or stop (so the tail you stitch in to anchor uses up thread), the smaller rows are the more you use, jumping round also uses thread.
One way I find a rough estimate of floss usage is through cross stitch programs. Using Pattern Maker and PC Stitch, I coloured in succesive blocks untill the floss usage went over 1 skein. From this Pattern maker shows you get around 2347 full stitches from a skein, and PC Stitch shows you get around 2592 stitches, both of these were for 2 strands of floss on 14 count aida.
But as I said before, this doesnt take into account other uses of the floss such as, design area and dimensions, starting or stopping, or jumping. I guess you could say you should make 2000 stitches (taking into account other uses) with some possible extra stitches.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-7-24 18:41
| Show all posts
Try going to hand-dyedfibersdotcom, put a . where I typed dot. In the menu is a floss calculator. Try using it, it might help.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-7-24 19:11
| Show all posts
I, too, have never had to do such a calculation. But, in case such a situation might happen, I will bookmark the site you have suggested for reference. Thanks Scocat.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-7-24 23:17
| Show all posts
thanks everyone for the help!!. i will go to the floss locator, I didn't know there was one :)!

i am doing a pattern by scarlet quince _ primrose from Mucha. and there the metres of each colour are given

thanks again

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-4 17:58
| Show all posts
alot of the charts will tell you how much thread you need for the project, so it may be that out of an 8m skein, you'll be using 2m. i dont know it's only a thought!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 03:47
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-1 16:34
| Show all posts
Very Nice!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:40
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 23:12 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065907 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list