| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: LavenderHaze
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Know of a marker that washes out?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-5-9 16:59
| Show all posts
Try water erasable pens from quilter shops. However, whatever kind of choose, please test it on your fabric first before using it. Different chemicals work differently, even your environment could affect the outcome and you may erase the marks from one fabric but not another. I am a quilter too and that's how we are taught to do before marking a whole quilt top :-)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-17 11:18
| Show all posts
Have you tried using nylon thread to mark your lines ahead of time?  Some use fishing or beading thread, or you could use Easy-Count Guideline.  (Search amazon or google.)  It's non-permament, and slips right out after you're finished.

Otherwise, you'd need to test different fabric markers (Check your craft or fabric stores) to see if it will wash out of your fabric.  I wouldn't trust it to work on all types of fabric just because it worked on one.  (I love to sew, and have learned that not all fabrics are alike.  So you would want to test between different brand and styles of CS fabric.)

Hope this helps!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 07:47
| Show all posts
I was a sewer before I was a stitcher and had just your standard water soluble blue quilters pen handy.  I've never had any problems with it coming out with a little water and have used it on sewing projects and cross stitch projects alike.  You can find them at any fabric store.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 19:58
| Show all posts
Edited by magenta13 at 2013-5-19 13:00

I use that system too although I haven't seen the special nylon grid thread.  

If you're using a normal sewing thread it's best to use an almost neutral cotton thread so that colours don't bleed or leave fluffy marks in the fabric when you take them out.  

There is an Aida fabric that has grid lines printed that wash out, but you need to be really sure that the floss you are using is 100% washable!!  Learnt from experience!!

I now prefer to mark grid lines with thread, the fishing thread looks like a neat idea!!  And reusable too!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 20:03
| Show all posts
Just as an afterthought - I recently came across someone using the Pilot Frixion Erasable pen for marking embroidery and quilting lines.  Just passing a hot iron over the lines makes them disappear.  There may be problems though if those marks are not covered by stitching because they can re-appear especially in cold weather!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-30 03:30
| Show all posts
I have 2 different kind of trickmarkers.
One it fades away in 24 hours, very handy when you make clothes.
One you can wash out with just water, Aqua trick marker from Prym. This you I juse for cross stitching. It holds a few months.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-21 21:34
| Show all posts
got to try this some day

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-10 03:01
| Show all posts
I will have to check our shop for that fishing line.  Perhaps Walmart will have it.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-8-10 08:21
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
pjh1984

2011-10-15 18:58

another solution that I'm looking at is thread.  There is a product that is a grid thread.  You simp ...

That's exactly the method I've ended up using! Though, I just use regular sewing thread in a contrasting color. But it's such a PITB!!  I only make 2 lines at first, centering the pattern; and as I stitch to another 10, I stop and make more basting gridlines.
THANK YOU TO ALL who replied!!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-8-10 08:26
| Show all posts

amyleesf

2013-3-27 01:49

Hi, I am following this with much interest. I too, have looked for soluble pens and others in my tim ...

I have looked for this Aida cloth without success.  Where do you get yours?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-10 16:32 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064118 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list