| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Sol
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] how to use this frame?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-11-7 07:12
| Show all posts
Reply 10# sabina

Do you mean that the width of your project is wider than the width of the scroll frame?

If that is the case, for myself, I would not use the scroll frame.
To fold the sides of the fabric and then roll it onto the frame would cause a problem with tension.
The width of the frame needs to be wider than the width of the fabric so the tension is nice and tight for stitching.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-7 09:49
| Show all posts
As Sallyrose said, it needs to fit inside on the sides.  Here is a page that gives drawings to explain:   http://www.better-cross-stitch-patterns.com/scroll-frame.html   It can be longer but it cannot be wider.   This is why I have several.  The largest is almost the size of a quilting frame.

You can adjust the width of smaller cloth by basting other material on to the sides and fixing on the scroll frame.   For material larger you need to pick a larger frame.  If you have material hanging from the sides it is going to distort your fabric.  IF you do not have to scroll, then tacking it to the sides would work but if you have to scroll at all, you can't.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-1-16 22:14
| Show all posts
I've always struggled with scroll frames, thank you all for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-3-28 15:54
| Show all posts
You would need to sew to the fabric or you could buy clips that clip round the rollers.

I use the clip frames from Elsebee (not sure of spelling).  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-1 10:33
| Show all posts
just read the instruction manual?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-5-27 07:20
| Show all posts
This is why I use q-snap. Not quite so complicated. Hope you got it to work for you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-5-28 04:11
| Show all posts
I have used similar scroll frames for many years but mine are a little bit different.  Because I started stitching years ago, and scroll frames were expensive for me, my father made me several.  Some have longer "arms" or longer rods to put the fabric on.  this way I could make a variety of sizes depending on the fabric size.  

My father used a saw blade to cut the dowel rod down the middle about 85% of the way through (so it will not split entirely in half).  Then he sanded the inside (cut) edges to make them smooth so the fabric would no catch on any slivers.  I slipped the fabric through and wound it up tight and then did the same with the bottom.  

This way I didn't have to sew or attach anything to the canvas tabs you see on some of the scroll frames that are sold.  I still have all my frames and use them often but nowadays I prefer to stitch in hand or with a Q-Snap because the wood frame can become heavy.  Then again I do have my floor stand as well, but still I prefer the whole thing to be more up closer.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-5-29 11:29
| Show all posts
I have similar frames minus fabric stapled to the dowl. I always tape my fabric right on to the dowl rods. I give my self an extra bit of fabric when calculating for my project so I can just cut off the taped ends. I never have any problem with tension and my projects stay in their frames for several months at a time.

Comments

An old friend of mine used a staple gun to attatch fabric to wooden scroll, so I tried this, and it worked a treat, just staple the top and bottom into the wood, and scroll the fabric nice and tight,  Details Reply Post time 2012-5-29 18:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-5-29 18:04
| Show all posts

An old friend of mine used a staple gun to attatch fabric to wooden scroll, so I tried this, and it worked a treat, just staple the top and bottom into the wood, and scroll the fabric nice and tight, when finished just gently remove the staples with a knife, this has been great, as I prefer a scroll for larger projects.

Comments

It's a pleasure  Details Reply Post time 2012-5-29 21:12
I might have to give this a go with my next project. Thanks for the tip!  Post time 2012-5-29 20:45

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-5-29 21:12
| Show all posts
zone62 replied at 2012-5-29 18:04
An old friend of mine used a staple gun to attatch fabric to wooden scroll, so I tried this, and i ...

It's a pleasure :D

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 16:46 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.078737 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list