Forgot password?
 Register
Author: IamJamie
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Tent Stitch

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-5-26 09:20
| Show all posts
I use this stitch when I'm working on Penelope canvas for tapestry/needlepoint in wool.   The coverage is excellent for pillows and chair covers.   I've also used it for petit point when it was popular years ago.   

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-6-1 17:30
| Show all posts
i have never heard of this but will definately try it soon..thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-6-2 17:49
| Show all posts
Thanks, this is very useful for any large projects, your close up picture is great as I can see it looks good :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-22 18:13
| Show all posts
So, this stitch looks the same as a full stitch in for example a HEAD? Don't you see that the stitch is different when you are looking at the project? (I want to start with a HEAD, and maybe this stitch is something I would choose then instead of a full stitch)
Do you maybe have a photo of the full project with this stitch? (hope you don't mind)

Comments

If you use a high enough count fabric the stitches are so small that it is very hard to tell the difference. Unfortunately I personally have no finished peices use this technique yet but I did pull so  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-23 04:23

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-23 04:23
| Show all posts

If you use a high enough count fabric the stitches are so small that it is very hard to tell the difference. Unfortunately I personally have no finished peices use this technique yet but I did pull some photos from the HAED BB. I have also seen a finished piece in person and I couldn't tell the difference until my nose was nearly touching the glass.

100_6063.jpg

001-60.jpg

001-2.jpg

DSCF8748.jpg

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-23 14:48
| Show all posts
I didn't think so, but indeed, you can't see the difference :)Thanks IamJamie!

Comments

You're welcome!  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-23 22:42

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-23 22:42
| Show all posts
teddyje8 replied at 2012-8-23 14:48
I didn't think so, but indeed, you can't see the difference Thanks IamJamie!

You're welcome!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-27 23:24
| Show all posts
An even more reliable 1/2 stitch to avoid distortion is basketweave.
You stitch a 1/2 cross in the normal way (up the hole furthest from the last stitch and down the whole closest), but instead of going along in a horizontal (or vertical) line, you work diagonally on the fabric, you get excellent coverage and the pattern that forms on the back is what gives it the name basketweave stitch.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-27 23:30
| Show all posts
needlepoint-for-fun.com/basketweave-stitch.htm

(needless to say it will only reduce distortion if you actually use a frame - unlike the demo film!)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-6 21:30
| Show all posts
Thanks a lot for the tip. I have been doing my half stitches the wrong way and yes, my fabric gets a bit distorted. Your way is the needlepoint stitches. 2 questions: Do you use a frame when doing tent stitch? Does it use up a lot more thread due to the long returns?

Thanks.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 06:09 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.083622 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list