Forgot password?
 Register
View: 3069|Reply: 33
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Patterns with lots of colour changes

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-2-16 12:30
| Show all posts |Read mode
I am keen to find out what techniques everyone uses for those large complicated patterns with lots of colours. I have seen pictures of people with many threads hanging off a cross stitch and wonder how they are doing that? Do people stop and start in a particular section? Or leave the thread hanging until you get to a new section of that colours? Would love to know what everyone is doing.. thanks:)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-4-8 02:56
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 13:52
| Show all posts
I find the next spot on the chart so when I get back to that area the thread is waiting for me to carry on.
Some people end their threads and then start a new one to carry on, but I prefer to leave mine.  I guess it's personal preference.  What I hate is confetti stitches where there are a lot of individual stitches as I run out of areas to run my ends in especially if I'm working down a chart and there are too few finished large areas!    I don't like  confetti stitches but they make the picture so much better.  :D

Comments

how do you stop the threads getting tangled in what you are currently working on?  Details Reply Post time 2013-2-16 18:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 15:22
| Show all posts
I'm a stop and starter so I guess that's why any large project takes me forever!

Comments

oh, me too, don't like ending!  Details Reply Post time 2013-3-4 01:32

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-2-16 18:52
| Show all posts

how do you stop the threads getting tangled in what you are currently working on?

Comments

Usually I use a cardboard organiser. Punch the holes and put the various thread in, and label the holes with symbol and number. . To avoid tangles, I wax the threads with normal candle wax. I use thre  Details Reply Post time 2013-2-16 21:06

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 19:46
| Show all posts
I like to have all the threads going at once, and attach a 'tag' by pinning the thread number to the needle (I have needles in all the unworking threads).
If I didn't do this I am sure I would forget which thread was which especially as there are so many colours of  only slightly different tones in many of the pieces I stitch.

Comments

this sounds like a good idea, thanks  Post time 2013-3-15 17:02

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 21:01
| Show all posts
I guess the many colours make the picture pretty in the end. For me, usually I work with three needles max. I finish individual small designs if I can. If the design is large, then I mark off every 10 by 10 square. Normally I prefer to set red thread grids 10 by 10 square if it's a large complicated piece.
The three needles are threaded in the next 3 colours I use. Keep it simple and neat. I knot off every colour I finish in the design. Starting off again is easier than threading the colour through many spaces. Hope this helps.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 21:06
| Show all posts
popples098 replied at 2013-2-16 18:52
how do you stop the threads getting tangled in what you are currently working on?

Usually I use a cardboard organiser. Punch the holes and put the various thread in, and label the holes with symbol and number. . To avoid tangles, I wax the threads with normal candle wax. I use three needles at one time. To many needles with too many threads without proper organiser box will tangle easily. Again, hope this helps.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-16 21:49
| Show all posts
I have a PAKO needle/thread organizer for large projects, where all the needles are threaded with a different color. The organizer itself holds up to 50 needles (I think).  Mind you, sometimes all the threads hanging down have gotten tangled, so you have to be careful with it.  I also have a Tanto organizer which holds all the skeins of thread.  Again, I have used this for large projects.  It is on a stand, so you have to be careful if you have kids or dogs running by which can knock it over.  Although the threads are held in place by a large rubber band, it can get messy at times.  I do not leave the long threads hanging on the project, as once again, there is a possibility of tangling.  I always finish off the area and move onto the next.  It is all a matter of personal preference.

Comments

I looked into the PAKO and I will get one of those. Thanks for sharing.  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-9 10:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-17 01:18
| Show all posts
Edited by LouAnna at 2013-2-16 17:19

I don't label my threads hanging as the thread marks the starting position of that thread on the chart.   I don't find it tangles much as I have needles holding my thread ends to the fabric but will cut the tips off before threading as they may be frayed.    Some people use small hair clips to clip them together, but I'm sure if I did that they would get in my way.   I did buy a package for a HAED I plan on starting.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-2-18 05:46
| Show all posts
I guess I am a stop and starter too.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-4 06:30 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.092488 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list