Forgot password?
 Register
Author: icecreamcake
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Patterns with lots of colour changes

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-2-18 07:22
| Show all posts
I generally use only one colour at a time, stopping and starting.  I've tried the "parking" method but it drives me crazy having all those threads there.  Plus, if I am using many similar colours - as usually happens on the larger patterns - I can't tell which is which. ;P

I do "grid" when using large patterns and that is probably the most helpful thing for me.

Comments

Ah yeah I am the same I've tried the "parking" method too but it also drives me crazy! I guess it does take time to do it the "start and stop" type of way but as several ppl in this thread have sai  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-9 13:35
Yes i had that same thought that i might get into a big mess.... something to consider anyway.. :-)  Post time 2013-3-3 09:28

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-4 01:32
| Show all posts
Edited by biacl at 2013-3-3 14:35

oh, me too, don't like ending but find it cleanner!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-4 08:07
| Show all posts
Lots of good tips here, I usually leave mine hanging but wrap them on my plastic floss holders so they don't tangle.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-11 09:22
| Show all posts
Im a stop and starter too... mostly.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-12 22:22
| Show all posts
I have lots of thread organiser cards and when im doing a large project that requires lots of colour changes in one section, I have all the needles threaded with the colours and attach it to a large pin cushion, When im done with one, I cross the section out for that colour with pencil on the chart (i always photocopy my charts) tie that colour off, put the needle into the relevant hole that corresponds with the shade number and carry on with the next and so, takes less time if you are a starter and stopper like me lol:P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-13 15:41
| Show all posts
I love finishing up so I can start a new project

Comments

thats very organised. i have so many projects in progress haha  Post time 2013-3-19 16:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-13 17:43
| Show all posts
I work in a zone for example 3 columns

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-3-14 11:00
| Show all posts
Unlike most people, I'm not a fan of "parking" and having loose threads. I'd rather pick a defining colour like the black outline on most hannah lynn HAED designs,  and do that completely. That way I have to grid less, get less tangles and less frustration. Im more likely to then do the next biggest colour completely or atleast till I run out of thread or get bored. Probably ends up messier but it works for me.

Comments

this sounds similar to how I sort of do my patterns now, havent tried a HAED one yet but I do tend to pick one colour and either do all I can find or until I run out of that strand of thread. Had not  Details Reply Post time 2013-3-19 16:11

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-3-19 16:11
| Show all posts
R Lee replied at 2013-3-14 03:00
Unlike most people, I'm not a fan of "parking" and having loose threads. I'd rather pick a defining  ...

this sounds similar to how I sort of do my patterns now, havent tried a HAED one yet but I do tend to pick one colour and either do all I can find or until I run out of that strand of thread. Had not heard of parking so am learning more about it as hoping one day to try one of these complex designs!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-7 12:36
| Show all posts
I thought parking would be confusing until I tried it. I work in 10x10 square areas that sometimes have as much as 20 - 40 colors in them when there is a lot of confetti.  I start my work from the front with an away waste knot (Start it 20 stitches to the right of where I am working from the front) and work the color in the row I am in. Then I bring the thread up in the next place that the color will be used and take the needle off and just let the thread hang. Then I work the next color the same way. Sometimes I carry an unused thread as much as 10 - 15 rows if it is not needed since it will get covered up by the stitches  that go in that area. But if the next stitch is more than 15 stitches away, I bring the thread up to the front again off to the side and snip it and leave the thread with the needle in my needle organizer (Similar to pako, but home made)

The trick to parking is that you bring the thread up where it will be used next, so when you reach that square in your chart if there is a thread already there, you know it is the one you have to use for that space and anywhere else in the row that needs that color.  It is helpful to have a different color highlighter to mark where your parked threads are so that you don't get confused.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-4 12:40 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.076846 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list