Register
View: 2145|Reply: 25
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Floss Saving Technique

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-9 02:21
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi All!

Just wanted to share an old, but very useful, tip for cutting back and saving on the amount of floss that you use for a project requiring 2 strands of floss. Each skein of floss consists of 6 strands. Cut a length of floss that you would normally use. Personally, I usually cut off about a 24 inch length. Pull out just 1 strand from the batch of 6. Fold the strand in half, and place thread the two loose ends through your needle. Make your first half cross, and put your needle back through to the back of your project. Be careful not to pull the "loop" through. When your needle is in the back of your project, stick your needle through the loop, and begin your next half cross (or finish your first half cross). Your first half cross is now secure. You have used only 1 strand of thread but, because you folded it in half, you have 2 strands to stitch with! :) Hopefully this makes sense.

To word this a little bit differently, when a chart requires you to stitch with two strands of the same color of floss, pull out just 1 strand from a hank of 6. Fold the strand in half, put the two ends through the needle, leaving the loop on the long end (in the back of your project). Bring the needle up from the back of your project and make the first half cross stitch. Then go through the loop at the back of your project to make a nice, firm anchor before you make the second half cross stitch.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 23:54
| Show all posts
Following this thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-5 20:58
| Show all posts
Siguiendo este hilo

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 02:23
| Show all posts
I agree. I don't know if it saves floss or not but this is how I do it too.

Comments

I think it does save floss, as you are using less thread in the long run. This may be especially true if the pattern calls for a very small (10 or so stitches) area of one color.  Post time 2013-4-9 02:28

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 03:01
| Show all posts
Thank you  I will try this :)  

Comments

You are most welcome! Hopefully it will work for you. I have been using this technique for years with great results! :)  Post time 2013-4-9 03:17

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 03:44
| Show all posts
That sounds brilliant!  I will have to try this :)

Comments

Glad to hear! Hope you like this neat technique! :)  Post time 2013-4-9 04:40

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 04:19
| Show all posts
That is exactly what I do. Never thought much about it saving floss but it does mean you don't have to worry about tucking the ends in when you start.

Comments

Not having to tuck the ends is definitely another benefit of this technique! :-) The person who showed this technique to my mother and myself introduced it as a method to cut back on floss! :)  Post time 2013-4-9 04:43

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 08:10
| Show all posts
cool, i kinda did that, by that i mean, i used i long strand folded in half but securing looked like a bird nest on the back of the work, thank you for the useful tip :)

Comments

Not a problem! Hopefully this tip will help prevent more bird nests! :)  Post time 2013-4-9 10:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-10 21:16
| Show all posts
This is exactly what I do too and there are no birds nests or knots at the back of my work :D

Comments

Glad to hear this technique prevents knots and birds nests for you as well. I was not fond of having to hold a thread down in the back while getting a color started, so this tip was a great find! :)  Post time 2013-4-10 23:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-11 14:46
| Show all posts
I have started cutting what strand I need, it is much neater.

Comments

I am so happy to hear that this technique is beneficial for you! :)  Post time 2013-4-12 00:08

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-11 17:23
| Show all posts
Thank you.  I also use this technique and I love that I don't have to fiddle with the start of a thread.

Comments

You are most welcome! I am so happy to hear that this technique help you as well. :)  Post time 2013-4-12 00:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 22:42
| Show all posts
Awesome tip will try that.

Comments

Glad you like the idea! Hope it works for you! :)  Post time 2013-4-25 00:14

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 01:10 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.059103 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list