Forgot password?
 Register
Author: xstitch4life
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Floss Saving Technique

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-25 00:24
| Show all posts
I do appreciate all this help and I am keen on learning and approving my work.
Thanks again.

Comments

:) It is my pleasure! There is certainly a wealth of knowledge to be gained on these boards! :)  Post time 2013-4-25 00:26

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-26 18:07
| Show all posts
Great tip, i am doing it too now:):):)

Comments

Wonderful! I am so happy this is helping you! :)  Post time 2013-4-27 00:12

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-28 17:30
| Show all posts
thats how I have always done it

Comments

I am so happy to hear that! I knew this was not a "new" technique when I posted it, but this is a great technique to share with anyone just learning how to stitch or wanting to improve on their work!   Post time 2013-4-29 04:46

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-30 15:09
| Show all posts
The only problem for me stitching with the loop method is that you can feel with your fingers that one way thread is smooth and the other way not so smooth and with the loop method you use the smooth and not so smooth together.

Comments

I am going to have to pay more attention to that. I have not noticed anything like this before. Of course, I use DMC 99% of the time. Very interesting perspective! :)  Post time 2013-5-4 01:28
Sorry, what I am trying to say is that if you take one length of thread and put the beginning and end of that length together to stitch, you have a smooth and coarser thread together.  Post time 2013-5-1 02:26
I am not understanding what you are trying to say. When the loop is properly left in the back of the project, nothing but normal stitches should be felt/seen on the front side.  Post time 2013-5-1 00:55

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-4 00:09
| Show all posts
Neat technique. Thank you for the tip.

Comments

Not a problem! Hope it helps! :)  Post time 2013-5-4 01:29

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-13 16:16
| Show all posts
How interesting, I need to try this! :) Thank you for the tip!

Comments

Please feel free to let me know if you have any trouble. Hopefully this little tip will help you! :)  Post time 2013-5-13 23:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 11:45
| Show all posts
This is the method I've always used.  I hate weaving in ends to begin with and I think it makes my work much cleaner looking.

Comments

:) I totally agree! I am currently working on an afghan project that calls for 3 three strands. Getting the colors started is such a booger! I cannot wait to get back to my 2-stranded projects! :)  Post time 2013-5-20 11:53

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 13:00
| Show all posts
The only problem is when you are using two different colours for a blended look then you can't use the loop technique.

Comments

Yes. Very true. In those instances I like to hold my tail and stitch over it in the back...never got use to using a waste knot.  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-20 12:15
Very true. I rarely stitch projects with blends, but you are absolutely correct that this technique would not be beneficial in those circumstances.  Post time 2013-5-20 11:54

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 19:33
| Show all posts
I do this all the time when two strands are needed.  It saves on having a waste knot and a length of floss to weave in.  I think it's called a loop start.  Very useful!!

One floss saving technique I've found is when stitching large areas of the same colour I go along one row doing half crosses then return finishing the crosses.  You develop a technique that means you don't change direction all the time and it looks neater on the reverse.

Comments

You are so right when stitching over two threads, and the back is very neat. However, I got myself into a mess when stitching on linen over one thread (e.g., Heaven and Earth designs), with the floss  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-1 21:06
Keeping the same direction is crucial to producing a clean finished product. You are right on the money my friend! :)  Post time 2013-5-20 11:56

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-20 12:15
| Show all posts

Yes.  Very true.  In those instances I like to hold my tail and stitch over it in the back...never got use to using a waste knot. :Q

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 00:09 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.109630 sec., 24 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list