Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Hamsteren09
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-5-26 11:23
| Show all posts
I'm thinking of gridding too, I loved the tips! Thanks! I'm trying to loose fear of HAED projects :lol

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-26 14:07
| Show all posts
I bought some red fishing line type material that was for twitching grids.  I did not like it and would rather use floss.

Comments

There are many thicknesses of floss, so make sure you got the thinnest one you can get - I have some that is 4 lbs weight.. which is ideal. If you use anything thicker, it might be hard to work with.  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-7 13:00

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-7 13:00
| Show all posts

There are many thicknesses of fishing line, so make sure you got the thinnest one you can get - I have some that is 4 lbs weight.. which is ideal. If you use anything thicker, it might be hard to work with.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-22 14:55
| Show all posts
After re-starting Summer Goddess five times, due to being off a column; I have finally decided to grid the material. I read all I could on the subject and I used Nymo thread that I have from my beading projects. They are all nylon and won't fray and should come out quite easily.

I was unable to find any fish line with a color other than green in my area. :( However between the Nymo and some Sulky I found on sale, the gridding is going quite nicely. Some day soon I hope to go back to that piece. Right now I have been doing easy Halloween patterns.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-30 09:32
| Show all posts
Edited by lovestitches at 2013-9-30 09:34

I used to find gridding tedious and absolutely hated it. I still do it as it is necessary as it is placement guideline but I was recently showed how to do it very quick. I no longer hate gridding and could do it in no time.

The following works perfectly on Aida. I am not sure whether it could be applied to other fabrics.

You will need a water erasable pen only. Here are the steps:

- Find the center lines of your fabric by folding it in quarter.
- Using the pen to make a line horizontally from the center point, where 2 center lines meet. Just hold the pen, start a line with a light hand, do not press hard. You will find that the pen just follow the hole line in the fabric.
- Continue with other parts of the center lines.
- On the center lines, count from the center out according to your pattern, make a mark every 2 holes and make a long mark every 10 holes. Do this for all 4 parts of the center lines.
- Using the pen with light hand, make gridding lines all over your fabric.

I am not a native speaker so it's hard for me to describe exactly what I mean but I hope the above makes some sense. It might be a bit intimidating to grid without a rule at first but you will get use to it within a few lines. I gridded my entire piece of fabric for a large HAED within a few minutes.

Good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-30 10:18
| Show all posts
Yo no marcaba nunca la cuadricula hasta que encontré el rotulador soluble al agua, me ayuda mucho con los HAE y trabajos difíciles. Con el hilo me molesta para bordar.
Y las labores siempre las lavo para sacar el apresto que hace que se mantenga la tela tiesa, porque el polvo del apresto con el tiempo deja de ser blanco y se vuelve amarillo y al ir pasando el hilo del bordado por la tela también se le pega ese polvo quedando feos los colores de la labor.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-8 12:50
| Show all posts
I do not grid often, but when I do I use a watersoluble marker.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-12 15:43
| Show all posts
First time I gridded just have seen it at pictures, so i used spare mouline thread... a nightmare, got absolutely crazy with my stitches perforating it....
will give a try to sulky thread, still a bit scared of the water soluble pen not erasing completely

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-14 01:25
| Show all posts
Thanks great thread!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-19 04:24
| Show all posts
I use regular sewing thread and just do the borders at first.  Then I will do a Grid where I think I need it.  So far, it is going good.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-29 11:11 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.040234 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list