Hot search: hat cross stitch Xsd hae xsd Hae
View: 2159|Reply: 23
Collapse the left

Types of yarn and their uses ?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-12-28 01:58
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Fabulis at 2017-12-28 02:24

[Sorry if i posted in the wrong forum but saw some threads about crochet here , thought i might ask ..]

I have difficulties when it comes to buy some yarn , i see some is made of 100% acrylic , some are 50% cotton 50% acrylic ,etc....
and the yarn is  between 1-4 , there is the shiny yarn the soft type of yarn , but i dont know what is the best type of yarn to do some projects .

like what type and number as" worsted - 4 " is it suite to make small dolls and big dolls ?
and what type of yarn is good for kids clothes , dresses or pants or even a beanie , and as for a small basket for pencils or makeup what type of yarn does it suite and i'm not looking for t-shirt yarn case its gonna make the project very big but i mean as two strings of yarn together to crochet.

So i am asking , what am i looking for when its comes to make a dress or a hat or pencil case or a small basket ? cause i noticed some people recommending some brand contain the word as description "Soft" 4-ply yarn for kids clothes so is there a chart describe what type yarn suite for ?

Login/Register to enlarge

and i already have this one and i understand it , but i'm asking the touch of the yarn cause i made a lovely hat to my niece who is 3 years old but my sister refused taking it saying "its really thick and not suitable for kids" and when i gifted to a friend for her child she said "no this is really soft its should be much more thick its not good for kids " so i am really lost and i used 4-ply yarn and it was written on it "Soft" and the touch of it really nice and it was a very good quality .  

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
sjgirgis + 1 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2019-6-9 03:23
| Show all posts
Basically, assuming you are using written patterns, the pattern will state what weight to use, what fiber to use, what tool sizes to use.  That should be your guide.  For instance, say you are making socks - you don't want to use size 4 yarn.  Say you are making washcloths - you don't want to use acrylic, you want to use cotton, and you want to use size 4 yarn.  The patterns should be your guidelines when choosing yarn weight and yarn fiber.   The patterns are created with the use of the items in mind.  Baby blankets are usually made with worsted weight yarn.  Baby clothing is usually made with thinner yarn, like number 2, otherwise it can be too bulky.  I make doll clothing and I use bedspread string when I crochet, and size 1 or 2 yarn when I knit.  Many years ago when I was new to crochet, I made a baby matinee jacket for my niece.  I used worsted weight yarn because it was what I had on hand. The jacket turned out to be way too big, and because it was very baby-ish in styling, it was never worn.  By the time it fit, she looked silly in it - also, it was very chunky.  When patterns are made, they can sometimes state use X brand yarn and X size hook/needles or state what the picture that is on the pattern is made with.  Sometimes the pattern will state that the yarn/hook/needles used are a "suggestion" and you can substitute, or change hook/needles to achieve gauge, but pretty much, pick a pattern and go with the yarn and hook/needles size the pattern suggests and you should be ok.  

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +7 Collapse Reason
wpe4rl + 1 Thank you very much!
tatyanaSeigers + 6 Usefull

View Rating Log

Reply Support 3 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-31 04:33
| Show all posts
In the USA and Canada, worsted is considered medium weight yarn (yarn weight 4). It knits up on 4.5mm needles or US7 size needles.  Normally kids are harder on yarn so buy something with a wool and acrylic mix. Acrylic also has a softer feel to it than 100% wool. The yarn that is called 4ply is fingering weight or sock weight. You can knit hats and gloves and even sweater with it but it takes longer to knit than a worsted /medium weight yarn. It really depends what you are knitting for the child.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-11-17 16:18
| Show all posts
That chart is ideally how it works, and how it usually does work. Unfortunately these can vary significantly by manufacturer, especially between smaller companies. I universal way of determining yarn size is wraps per inch, just wrap the yarn around a ruler. There are lots of charts online for it

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2018-1-2 17:32
| Show all posts
Marty109

2017-12-31 04:33

In the USA and Canada, worsted is considered medium weight yarn (yarn weight 4). It knits up on 4.5m ...

does Caron simply soft is okay to use for baby's dresses or cocoons or blankets ?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-14 13:51
| Show all posts
It sounds like people are making excuses like goldilocks, saying too thick or too thin or too rough or too soft. Usually the pattern will tell you what yarn and needle size is suitable for that pattern.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-3 21:17
| Show all posts
DMCrafter

2019-6-9 03:23

Basically, assuming you are using written patterns, the pattern will state what weight to use, what  ...

This is very reassuring!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-10 02:52
| Show all posts
I think it matters more how you think it feels rather than if it says it's soft.
Maybe you could try using some of the yarns that say they're for kids/ babies?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-8-5 23:21
| Show all posts
Your friends sound really picky! I would say 4-ply is a good weight for making a warm hat! But for a dress, maybe something thinner. Does that help?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-31 20:02
| Show all posts
thanks for posting the chart.  I weave with wool and this will help when selecting the type of wool for my project.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-12-29 19:04
| Show all posts
Please someone help me

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-3 05:13
| Show all posts
Sure. It's great for blankets and cocoons. It washes easily.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-6-4 16:34
| Show all posts
This is such a great chart, I always get confused on yarn weight. Thanks

Comments

I'm learning it, for posting chrochet and knitting patterns, but it's very difficult for a cross stitcher. :)  Post time 2019-6-7 00:27

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-6-8 23:23
| Show all posts
Excellent chart thank you

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 09:34 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057405 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list