Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2831|Reply: 22
Collapse the left

[Knitting] What\'s your favorite interchangeable needles

[Copy link]
Post time: 2018-1-31 20:52
| Show all posts |Read mode
I'm confused I don't know what to get I want to work in the round what shall I buy?

http://www.pindiy.com/home.php?m ... ;id=jameson_fx:myfx

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-2-7 03:50
| Show all posts
This will be long, but hopefully helpful...

If you are lucky, you will have a local yarn shop near you.  I would recommend going to that shop and trying out different types of needles first before you buy if you can.  If you don't have a local shop, maybe a local knit group. My library hosts one.  Knitting needles are a very personal thing, especially for knitting in the round.  Some like metal, wood, plastic, interchangeable, fixed, or double point.  The biggest thing I've found though with circular needles is, not the tips, but how much you like the cables.  The cables are what will drive you nuts before the tips will. The cables are probably what will make you love the needles you use or absoutley loath them.  If you aren't familiar with double pointed needles, I would recommend that you don't use them at all and just jump in using a long circular needle using the magic loop method.  You can do everything with a circular that you can with double points.
If you are just starting out, I would not suggest buying an interchangeable set unless you know the type of needles you like. If you can, borrow different needles from your knit group, or try them out in the store if you can. Try various types/brands of needles (wood, metal, plastic, round, square) to see what type of materials you like to knit with.  Once you know the type of needles you like to work with, I would recommend, if you can, to first buy one fixed circular needle (or one set of tips and a cable) and knit up a project with it.  Some companies have sampler sets consisting on different needles all of one size and a cable at a reasonable price (knitter's pride, knitpro and addi have sample sets) so you can try and compare their various needles.  Ether way (single fixed needle, tip/cable, or sample set) you can find out without a huge cash layout, if you like the tip/cable of the needle.  Most companies use the same cables between their fixed and interchangeable needles.  There are various ways to attach cables to tips, with screwing being the most common way, and 'click' working for Addi and Denise.  The cables can range from stiff to supper floppy.  A lot of the stiff cables you have to immerse in boiling water to straighten them out after storage to be able to use them.

Here are some of my thoughts for the interchangeable sets (Knitter's Pride, Addi, Boye, Chaiogoo) I've tried/bought over the years...
I still have my first interchangeable Boye needle set that I got over 30 years ago. There wasn't a lot of choice back when I got them.  If you can afford better, I honestly would not recommend them. Don't get me wrong. They are a good beginner's set, but you will find that you will want to upgrade if you continue needing circular needles. They have a coating over the needles that allows the more slippery yarns to stick, so they aren't very slippery with other stuff.  They also have very stiff cables which require straightening if stored in a tight coil. The cables have a slight bend at the join.  Depending on your knitting style they can come unscrewed. I like the bend, because with my knitting style, my hand fits right at the bend, offering a bit of extra support to the needle.  It's the cables that drove me to investigate getting a new needle set.
I needed more slippery needles, so started using Addi's.  The biggest problem I had with the Addi interchangeables and their fixed circular needles was their price and their cables.  Addi needles are very expensive.  I loved how slippery the metal tips were and how pointy the lace tips were.  The cables, I found had to be straightened in hot water before first use, and depending on how a project was stored, even during the project.  The cables would coil up into rings making moving the project around the needle a really big chore. I found these cables the worst for me.  Addi have a reputation of being the best knitting needles on the market.
So far, I've found that I like metal needles the best for most of my knitting, so the Takumi interchangeable needle set, being bamboo wasn't for me.  I liked that the cables would swivel in the join, allowing the cable to swivel, preventing the coilups that the Addi would do.  They still needed straightening though, before first use, but not as bad as the Addi.
When I was looking for interchangeable sets, the knitter's pride, and knit picks sets didn't have the the range of sizes that I was looking for so that ruled out those sets.  I also didn't like the cables.  I also couldn't knit with their square needles.  When I was trying these out, I had to 'same old' problem with their cables as well having to be straightened out before first use.
I have bought the Chiaogoo interchangeable red lace twist set.  I absolutely love their cables.  No need to straighten out before or during knitting.  For me this was the biggest factor in buying this set (I bought the complete set).  Other factors for me were that they had the biggest rage of sizes (next to Boye) for needle tips included in their 'complete' set without having to buy extras separately.  I knit a lot, so not having to supplement with fixed needles, or buy tips separately was another big deal.  I could buy tips of any given size separately if I needed them, if they were not included in the kit.  They have now come out with a set of interchangeable needles for sock/lace sizes which I plan to get this year.  One other thing that I considered was their price.  They were reasonably priced, compared to other sets, and their quality was just as good as Addi.

Now that you have read this long narrative, hopefully you can understand that just asking 'what should I buy' is a really really hard question to answer, since each person knits differently and has different preferences. Knitting needles are a very personal thing. There are a huge variety of interchangeable knitting needles on the market now compared to when I bought my Boye set all those years ago. I hope you can find a local yarn store, friends, knitting group or guild, where you can try out different interchangeable and fixed circular needles, or failing that buy 1 needle set or sample set before you buy an interchangeable set so that you can 'try before you buy' since needles are such a personal preference and the cost of a whole interchangeable set can be very expensive.
That being said, if I was buying a set of new needles today I would still buy Chiaogoo, since they are reasonably priced, are very good quality, have a variety of tips (metal, bamboo, 4" & 5") and have 2 different types of cables (spin, & twist) and have a very wide range of sizes available in different combinations of sets, and are available each individually too.  This makes them for me the most cost effective set. (Did I mention that I just love their cables :D?)

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
sonae + 2 Great info!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-1 07:18
| Show all posts
I am going to be of zero help but.......I have Boye. I can't not recommend them because they work just fine for me; I have only used them for 3 sweaters.  I totally understand why people don't like them...because they are basic and not .... high end or glamorous or ... I don't know what word to use.  But, they work fine for me. If I found myself using them more, I might be able to scrape up some cash to splurge, but not yet.  You might want to ask some people on facebook - there are a lot of knitting groups there and the members are quite knowledgeable and have needle experience.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-29 13:31
| Show all posts
Chiao Goo. Hands down. Addis are expensive and their cords will never lay totally straight but they're decent needles. Chain's on the other hand are more reasonably priced and have cords that lay 100% straight, right out of the package. I'll never use another interchangeable again. Love the safety line feature as well. I cannot say enough good things about these needles! I highly recommend you purchase a set of circular needles to compare the quality of their needles and cords before buying an entire interchangeable set. You won't regret it!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-11 15:14
| Show all posts
Hi. I love my addi clicks. They were a major purchase for me several years ago when I really couldn't afford them and I have had no regrets! I haven't had any problems with the cables and Addis customer service is excellent. I had a problem with one needle and it was immediately replaced with apologies. Prior to these I use knitpicks but I found the cables unscrewed and the points were too sharp for me. I'm getting wooden addi clicks for Christmas this year and Im very excited :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-15 05:41
| Show all posts
I have the denise interchangeable needles, and I really like them. They are plastic, so less clinking sound if that is an issue. The problem I have is that the cords break sometimes when I'm knitting blankets. I've had to get replacements for cords 3 times already. But I just send the old cord back after I contact them and they replace it so that's nice. I would love to try a metal interchangeable knitting set too someday.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-3 00:51
| Show all posts
knit picks .com has a few different sets too. They have a lovely bamboo set that are amazing to knit with. They have a chrome set at are very smooth and nice to work with too. I like that where the pin is attached to the cable there is no snagging of the wool and the stitches slide along nicely.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-18 20:59
| Show all posts
+1 for ChiaoGoo but only the red lace! I feel the spin cables are very rough at the join though I do like the bamboo needles even better than the steel.

If my yarn has a lot of fluff though sometimes the ChiaoGoos can be too sharp, in that case I like Lykke needles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-5 21:21
| Show all posts
I have the Boye but use them very rarely as the way I knit/move wrists causes the needles to unscrew from the cables and there is no way to lock them on tightly enough. I want to try the Addi Click set as they latch in rather than screw in.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-1 22:20
| Show all posts
Chiagoo because of the cable and the join is really nice- it really improves the knitting experience and makes it faster because I don't have to keep tugging at stitches or move them manually over the join.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-1 00:35
| Show all posts
I love metal needles!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2018-2-1 10:55
| Show all posts
Thanks I have boye too they r new I haven't used them yet but they looked appealing to me so I got them

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-3 08:09
| Show all posts
I like metal

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-4 03:19
| Show all posts
Addi-click interchangeable needles are expensive but are worth the investment.  The needles screw into the cables easily, stay in place and don't snag your yarn.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-16 15:54
| Show all posts
I like Knitpro Nova Cubics interchangable needles

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 23:45 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061539 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list