Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 4177|Reply: 48
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to store floss

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-9-9 19:16
| Show all posts |Read mode
i use DMC floss and was wondering if there was a smart way to store them? any ideas?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-6-29 05:12
| Show all posts
My husband made a 3 drawer chest to keep my floss bobbins in. At one time I had all of DMC's colours on bobbins stored. in the box as well as Krenik blending filaments and thread. Recently, I have been using individual thread organizers for each project as I have found that if the floss has been on the bobbin too long the floss has kinks in it that can be difficult to remove and keeps the thread from laying flat when stitching. DMC's stitch bows also worked well for me, until you got down towards the end of the skien and then thing could get a bit unruly. I have attached my current favourite thread organizers.

My Favourite holds 22 colors

My Favourite holds 22 colors
     This hedgehog organizer holds 22 colours         

Holds fewer colours. Good for small projects.

Holds fewer colours. Good for small projects.
   The rabbit holds fewer colours and is good for small projects. I also sometimes use one hole for 2 colours.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-19 18:02
| Show all posts
I have all my skeins on bobbins and the extra skeins I have in a big plastic bag. When I do a project I take all the colors I need and put them in one box so that I don't need to go over the 5 boxs to find the right color. And Thats a great idea to put a list in the bags with all the Numbers on it. I think i might do that too I got so many extra floss now I have to take all of them out to see if I have a certain number . I'm making a list now thanks for the idea.  
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 18:58
| Show all posts

No, a bobbin you have to wind the thread on, a stitch bow you keep the skein intact by hooking both ends in to the bow.  Think, )---( something like that but with more closed ends.  Hope you can get that, or just google dmc stitch bows.  Hope this helps. :)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:08
| Show all posts
I used to bobbin, but after so many years they do make the threads fold when you unwind them.  The last few years I just un-skein, cut into 8 x 1 metre lengths, and attach to a keyring fob  with a bobbin just with the colour on.  I can then swap out between projects really easy.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 01:04
| Show all posts
StitchnTime

Login/Register to enlarge
2014-1-16 23:40

I'm in the process of winding mine on plastic bobbins right now. I may be a bit ocd about it tho.  I ...

oh no. I just started using the little stickers. Maybe I should go back with a Sharpie and mark them to be safe :(

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-11 01:33
| Show all posts
I personally prefer to keep the thread on bobbins and keep all of them into boxes according to the numbers. I have seen people keep the thread on paper plate like DIM thread organizer according to continuous thread number.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-17 04:32
| Show all posts
I keep one set of DMC on stitch bows and all the rest in plastic bags in three large plastic boxes, silks are in floss bags in a box that looks like a filing cabinet drawer, all are in number order or name order.

Comments

is a stitch bow the same as a bobbin?  Details Reply Post time 2017-5-25 01:06

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-14 09:11
| Show all posts
I use to bobbinate. I now use ziplock sandwich baggies with an index card  inside and label the number on the index card in a drawer. I just put the skein inside and ready to use when needed.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-9-9 19:36
| Show all posts
I have them winded up as bobbins i plastic boxes. I store them by numbers.  Works great for me. The extra DMC that I have I put in big ziploc bags and have a DMC floss list in each bag and I have written how much I have of each DMC nr.:D

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-9-9 19:46
| Show all posts
so smart. the left over floss can be used again

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-9-10 05:43
| Show all posts
wow, there are many different systems, plastic bobin cards in plastic case or on a metal ring for each project. DMC has a oak case for just such cards. the bow-stitch by DMC is quite unique. also there is the zip-lock baggie that can hold many of the same color floss. I have seen friends use paper envelopes and tape a color swatch to the front with the make and number and store in a shoe box. But i think everyone has at least one big bag of left overs and un-sorted floss stashed somewhere....

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-8 18:46
| Show all posts
I use original "bows" from DMC.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-9 22:45
| Show all posts
I just put it in a plastic bag, and if I already use it I put in a a small ziplock for each thread with number label outside the plastic and store it inside the big plastic. simple and doesn't waste to much time

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-10 12:34
| Show all posts
I have mine on bobbins in plastic thread boxes.I have them in colours but may be easier if I put in numbers I think

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-13 08:45
| Show all posts
I'm also a bobbins user. It looks neat, the boxes are small, so you don't need much place for them. And your floss is saved from moisture and dust.
Ok, it's a bit boring to wind all your colors onto the bobbins for the first time, but by using a bobbin winder it works fast. :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-15 13:37
| Show all posts
bobbins for me too :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-20 16:25
| Show all posts
I use bobbins in plastic boxes. I store them by numbers :)

Comments

That's how I store mine too!  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-13 02:53

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 17:33 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.116223 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list