Register
Author: xonic
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How long strands do you use

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-10-5 22:41
| Show all posts
Oooh, interesting question!

I just pull the end of a (cotton) skein twice, if that makes sense? Turns out that's 60cm.

I like the neatness of cutting the skein at the end, and 30cm seems too short to me.

I'm fascinated to hear so many people use shorter lengths!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-5 23:17
| Show all posts
I usually approximate around 14 inches (oh you Europeans and your metric system!)  Any longer and I get knots, tangles, or bubbles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-8 13:03
| Show all posts
por lo general sobre 100 cm doblado a la mitad , quedando la a la hora de coser  50 cm doble

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-8 16:43
| Show all posts
For cotton floss, I use 30cm (abt 12 inc) of 2 strands, made up of 1 long strand of 60cm doubled up.  This is about 2 pulls of the skein (or 4 times the length of the skein).  To minimise knotting, dampening the strand helps a lot.  When the strand has dried, I run it thru thread wax (Thread Haven works as well i guess).

30cm (2 strands) makes 30 stitches comfortably.  This includes the tucking in at the end of stitching.  If I need to stop and restart, then no more than 26 stitches.

Cheers, p

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 08:35
| Show all posts
Mine is always too long- so I am making an effort to make it only 30 cm- it does help a lot!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 10:20
| Show all posts
18 inches, or 45cm. That's the length they cut 'em to in kits (in Canada, anyway). :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-10 01:39 From mobile phones
| Show all posts
By the way, those of you that measure thread the length of your arm might be interested to know if you measured to your nose it's be a "dressmaker's yard", i.e. about a metre ("meter" for our friends in America!)

It seems to be an obscure phrase: I had a lot of trouble finding an example online (and now I find I can't post a URL anyway!)

Does anyone know the phrase? I'm British, but I found it used on a forum on an Australian site, where everyone seemed to know what it meant.

Comments

I think it's to do with an effort to standardise cloth lengths in the middle ages. At markets, cloth was measured from the seller's thumb to his nose and nobody would buy from a titchy man! Later on  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-9 00:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-12 00:58
| Show all posts
I use threads 120 cm bend half. With this measure strands I can embroider about 50 points. Note that Aida board 14.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-20 11:03
| Show all posts
50 cm for me

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-20 18:34
| Show all posts
50 cm for me normal threard and 20 cm for metal

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-5 07:18 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063303 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list