Register
View: 3075|Reply: 24
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] used hoops?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-10-12 21:51
| Show all posts |Read mode
used embroidery hoops?
Do not think that pulling the canvas to the finished embroidery is wrong?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-9-12 08:48
| Show all posts
I think embroidery hoops are wonderful. They allow for superb tension and, when you use them with a table clamp or seat frame, you can use both hands.

If you are buying one, check to make sure that the screw for the outside hoop is notched (sorry, don’t know the proper term), so that you can use a screwdriver.  Then you can get your piece “drum tight.”

You can also bind the inner ring with bias tape for even better tension and for more protection for your stitching.

When you are done stitching for the day, you remove your fabric.  You won’t get marks. With respect for a previous poster, a hoop can’t cause your thread colors to bleed.

You do have to think about the order you stitch in. You can’t put a hoop directly over beads, sequins, etc.,  so do them last.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-15 03:43
| Show all posts
I have hoops in different sizes and try to use a hoop big enough to hold most or all of the picture I'm stitching, this way I don't really need to move it and risk flattening the stitches - but even if I do this, I can wash the project when its done and the stitches will un-flatten themselves.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 23:57
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-12 21:54
| Show all posts
i dont like to do it, it frays the cotton and makes it fluff but thats only my opinion.  I do do it sometimes though but i would never leave my work in it

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-12 23:22
| Show all posts
I am not a fan of using hoops. I do not like the marks it can leave in the fabric.
I prefer using scroll frames.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-10-12 23:58
| Show all posts
do not know the sliding frames percu I use frames

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-13 12:10
| Show all posts
very nice thank you so much ...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-13 20:15
| Show all posts
same here. I have one and I used it once but when the design outgrew the hoop, I went out and bought a Q-Snap cause I didn't trust it not to ruin my project :(

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-10-13 23:15
| Show all posts
Thanks for your replies ........ and I want to try to embroider without circles

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-15 02:54
| Show all posts
I use hoops only an no problem with the marks ironing out.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-16 04:41
| Show all posts
It depends on what I am doing.  If tension is very important, I use hoops/frames to design size.  But I have everything from little to a large quilting frame and a rug hooking frame.  I also do it freehand.  So be aware when I say hoop here I am also including frames.

I also use hoops with a hoop stand to hold it when I want to double hand stitch.  That means very little hand movement.   One hand stays above and one below never exchanging.  It works wonders for my carpal tunnel / arthritis  on bad days.  It beats having to stop and shake out my hand every few stitches.  

However I follow the basic rules.  Have the correct hoop size.    When you are done stitching, so is the hoop.  It must come off.   Wash the hoop when done and before using.   It works better for Aida than for Linen.   The hoop should WORK.  This means if the fabric slips, adjust and if no amount of adjusting works, toss the hoop out.   Make sure you prepare the hoop properly for stitching and make sure you dismantle it and clean it properly when done.  That means undoing any taping or other things.

If you have marks, you left it in too long.  They do happen to the best of us tho.  To get rid of them if you aren't going to wash the piece simply mist and press.  A steam iron also works but be careful when you do so if you think you have bleeders.   If it is really bad as in "I forgot about that for 3 months and the frame was on it"  You will have to wash, stretch and block.  Perhaps repeatedly.  I had one that got shoved away during an emergency and it was hooped for a year.  It took some work but it came out.

So I do both hoop/frame and hand.  It's handy.   Sort of like when I use to go in the computer lab at school and walk past all those waiting for a Windows computer and sat down at a Mac.  As I told them one day when they were all giving me dirty looks "I'm bilingual.  I speak Mac and Windows"  In this case I speak hand and hoop.

Comments

Very thorough information. Thanks!  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-23 23:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-10-16 23:11
| Show all posts
I was just about to post this topic myself as i was curious what way people stiched.

Ive never used a hoop and cant really see the appeal because of the marks it would leave and you would have to keep moving the hoop when the design out grew it.

I usually just hold the fabric  and stitch like that it gets a little tedious sometimes i find if i get a cramp in my hand but its part of the fun of stiching i guess.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 02:10 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.085656 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list