Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2029|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Rotation and Storage

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-11-4 01:50
| Show all posts |Read mode
I have recently begun working on more than one project at a time in an idiot's style of confusing rotation. For those of you who do projects in rotation, how do you keep everything sorted and stored? HELP!!

Do you keep EVERYTHING needed for each project in a separate container, and if so what kind?
Do you keep only fabric and thread separate?
What about keeping them separate, and totally kitted with everything packaged so you may just pick up and go anytime?
If you don't separate each project, how do you find everything?

Any suggestions you can give me would really be appreciated. Pics would really be nice.

Thanking you in advance.

:)  :)  :)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-6-23 04:02
| Show all posts
I have each started large embroidery stretched onto a frame, its scheme, materials and scissors with magnets and spare needles are stored in a separate zip bag. Small embroideries are stretched on a hoop and lie in a bag with materials. All packages are in a large box under the table. So, if I want to embroider some kind of work, I just take out the right package from the box, put the frame on the machine and embroider!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-22 04:51
| Show all posts
I like having smaller projects in zip bags or in bag-like folders. For bigger projects that don't fit into A4 folder I put all the thread, etc into a bag and then keep it together with the project that stays on its frame/hoop.

I also like putting floss for a project onto plastic bobbins and then the bobbins go onto one split ring, and when I'm done with a color I move it to another split ring.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:48
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 00:03
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-4 00:06
| Show all posts
Esto suena muy útil.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-4 10:37
| Show all posts
I use plastic bins and plastic cases to store.

This is for long term storage of things I am not going to need immediately.  They cost $5 at our Walmart and I buy them one at a time as I need them.    For example I use them for kits.  I have two bins full of kits I bought esp when they are on sale.   I am not going to make all of them up at once but when I have nothing to do, I can dig one out to do as the mood stikes.  Also one for charts.   And another for fabric and floss.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Steril ... ns-Set-of-6/8282894

For those things I need immediately I use a bin that  looks like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Steril ... -Blue-Tint/16456546
I can see the needlework that is in it or the material or other items.  All my WIP go in one with all their supplies labeled.

I use a smaller version of that with a tray in it and a handle on top if I want to move things about or for things like my scissors, measuring tape and so forth.  Another serves as my sewing basket for regular sewing items.   

When I put the WIP in the bin, the floss goes in on a ring.  The floss for each is wrapped on a bobbin and labeled.  So it is a matter of looking at the rings.  I also try NOT to have too many WIPs going at the same time.  One small and One large is the max I try to maintain.  If I don't, I lose interest.  I have given up on some and tucked them away in a large bin but it is a long time before I can pick them up again if ever.

I do have one bin that is simply full of bobbin cases full of floss, labeled as to what numbers and what type are in them.   Say I need DMC 310.  I go to the case with DMC on it and with the number that 310 come in between.  I also keep a list of what I have used in there also so I know to replace it.  Extras go in a large storage bin.

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=123-6102
http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=DAR-10674

If I am traveling, I have a bag that I use.  It has its own basic scissors and other assorted goodies like needle threaders.  I simply throw the fabric and floss in and off I go.  It's simply a large tote with gold elephants on a red background.  I got it at Goodwill for 3 dollars American.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-11-4 15:42
| Show all posts
Wow, talk about organised. Well done.  
I have a rather large chest of drawers that I use for all my cross stitch/embroidery and sewing bits and pieces.  Have a lot of kits that I can pick up at any time to stitch.  Usually buy them when on special. They are in the drawers. WIP I keep each project in a large plastic zip lock bag with all floss and the pattern.  Very easy to pick it up and continue to stitch. I used to keep them all in a big bag/tote, but find it easier to put them in the drawers at the moment.
Patterns I keep in boxes, that are labelled with subject.  eg Disney in one box, flowers in another box.  Have way too many boxes and need to consolidate them more. Currently have two large double cupboards with magazines and boxes of patterns.  (Been collecting for approx 28 years.) Need to make more room & put one of the cupboards out in the garage to make room for our little Grandson's Cot. For when he comes to stay with us.  Due date is today 4th Nov 2011.
All my fabric for sewing is in the top of the hall cupboards in bags. It is a mission to find a particular piece of fabric at the moment.  Knitting wool & supplies are in the large wardrobe in the spare bedroom/craft room.
My elderly father lives with us and goes to bed rather early. I will take some pics tomorrow, so the light will not disturb him by shining in his bedroom.
Also have a sports bag with about 6 of the large floss boxes full of DMC & other threads. Mostly on Bobbins, but my spare DMC I have in plastic bags in number order.  Anyone beginning with a 2 is on one bag, etc. very easy to find that way before I go out and buy anymore.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-1 13:14
| Show all posts
wow i guess i am just more laid back...but great idea on things

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-2 00:29
| Show all posts
I have been stitching for many years and like most people don't have enough hands or hours in a day to stitch all that I want to do, so my stash grows and grows faster than I can finish something.  I have multiple wips and multiple "kitted" projects waiting to be started.  I use tote bags to store them in.  Whenever I get a new design I first get it "kitted" meaning I buy the fabric and threads for it so it is ready to stitch whenever I'm ready to get started on it.  

I keep the new fully kitted projects in the tote bags.  I use the tote bags because usually I'm going outside to stitch on the patio or maybe to another room in the house.  In each bag there are multiple projects I can choose to work on. I try to keep a mixture of large, medium, and small projects in each bag as well as a mixture by samplers, easy, complex, scenic, Quaker, holiday, etc.  So I'm big on having a large variety.  

For charts that are not kitted, (waiting on threads or fabric) I will keep these in big tote boxes stored in my stitching closet.  Same with the extra tote bags.  Currently I have more than 30 tote bags filled with projects that are either in progress or yet to be started.  I quite counting a long time ago, but there are lots.  

Also not to forget...  The kitted projects in the tote bags are stored in either zip-lock bags (if small enough to fit) but I don't close them all the way (to avoid moisture content in them) and for the big ones I use the big zippered bags you can buy on-line or at cross stitch shops.  Again, I don't close them up entirely because of the moisture thing.

I usually have 5-10 tote bags at arms reach up here and will work through 1-2 bags per week, then go to the next.  The others are in the closet, all lined up so I just keep the rotation going.  Eventually certain projects will "pull ahead" and I will focus on those to complete them.  And sometimes I just re-organize the bags because I'm always adding new ones to them or taking some out because I've finished one.

Hope this gives you another idea!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-2 00:35
| Show all posts
Sorry for the long post but I may as well add this...  I keep my fabrics (I get monthly shipments so it adds up fast) in big tote boxes, divided by 36ct, 32ct, 28ct, and miscellaneous.  I keep all my DMC floss in fishing tackle boxes - the kind with the tiny drawers for fish hooks/lures.  I label the drawers with three numbers per drawer and put three of each color in each drawer.  All my other dyed and silk threads like GAST, Dinky Dyes, Caron, Carrie's, Gloriana go into their own boxes.  All my charts are filed in tall filing cabinets by desinger/publisher, then category, then name.  All beads, buttons, and other embellishments are put into small snap-lock tote boxes.  All go into my closet.  Its just me and my husband so I get to use one entire walk-in closet for all my stitching supplies.

Okay, that's all.  Thanks for reading.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-25 10:57
| Show all posts
I kit up my projects as I go store them in large zip lock bags so every thing is ready when
I want to start a new project

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-30 22:01
| Show all posts
I like to use big zip lock bags for each project, and put all the floss/beads/etc. in the one bag.  Like rosebud, I often kit the entire project, and store it until I'm ready to start.  Since I have multiple projects on the go, it makes it easy to pick up the one that I feel like working on that day.  And if I'm heading out to the cottage, I just pack one or two up, and off I go.  
Then when I finish a project, left-over floss etc. goes into storage containers and will be inventory for future work.  I find that as I'm increasing my stash, I can usually kit up a project from the stash.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 05:49
| Show all posts
Wow, I have two folders for patterns, two clear boxes for my floss and two large clear boxes for taking stuff where I go.  I have a big house full of other stuff, so need to keep my cross stitch close nearby.:loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-12 19:16
| Show all posts
very interesting, many useful tips

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 11:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065960 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list